Trackbar question

:doh: Jumped the gun again looking for the quick and easy answer instead of THINKING for an extra 5 secs and thinking of it myself. Thanks Pete!

Heim joint is $25 from RE, "Hardware replacement kit" is also $25. Worst case then I'd probably have $100 in it, $75 if just need the heim joint. :dunno:

Heim joint is $25 from RE, "Hardware replacement kit" is also $25. Worst case then I'd probably have $100 in it, $75 if just need the heim joint. :dunno:

And don't forget the $25 5/8" drill bit you'll have to buy (if you don't have one) to drill out the frame hole. :eek:

And don't forget the $25 5/8" drill bit you'll have to buy (if you don't have one) to drill out the frame hole. :eek:

:doh: :doh: I know I have 1/2", not sure about 5/8's. The old man probably does though. Meh, if I don't have one, that would be an unavoidable cost with any trackbar I bought, I guess.

I know I have 1/2", not sure about 5/8's. The old man probably does though. Meh, if I don't have one, that would be an unavoidable cost with any trackbar I bought, I guess.

The trackbar models with the TRE use the OEM tapered hole - no drilling. The ones with the Heim joints require drilling out for the bolt. There may be exceptions but I don't know of any.

Wahoo, while your on this subj. do you happen to know what the diameter is of the trac bar axle bracket OEM bolt? The hole on mine is now oval shaped. I measured the OEM bolt at .383" (9.728mm). Possibly when new it was a 10mm or 3/8"? :dunno:

Sorry, Zipe, I'm at a loss on that one. With the @3" of lift and 31s I've put on, steering has gotten a little loose. I plan to add another .5-.75" up front and knew I should get an adjustable trackbar to help clean that up, so this is new tech territory for me. I haven't even checked out my stock one as far as specs and such.

Pros and cons of either? Don't know much about this stuff.......

I looked at them all before deciding on the TeraFlex unit. I didn't want to drill out a 5/8" hole for a Heim joint because if it gets egged out you're screwed. And I didn't want a Heim joint track bar because everything I read said they don't last long.

I also didn't want to pop out one end of the track bar everytime I needed to adjust it. So I settled on the TeraFlex w. the adjustable sleeve like the tie rod and drag link have, only much beefier. Figured if the sleeve is strong enough for them it should be fine for the track bar.

Maybe the off-roaders will jump in here and state which type is best for that, but since I don't go off-road I didn't worry about it. I think it was CW who had a problem w. the TeraFlex? :hmm: But I've seen writeups about problems with all of them.

With the @3" of lift and 31s I've put on, steering has gotten a little loose. I plan to add another .5-.75" up front and knew I should get an adjustable trackbar to help clean that up, so this is new tech territory for me.

Is your axle off-center now Wahoo? If so, the adj. track bar should help. But most likely the steering play is being caused by your worn out steering gear box, especially if still the original. If it is, give serious consideration to replacing it with one from a 93-98 ZJ; quicker ratio and tighter steering. :cheers:

EDIT: Just noticed this rig has a TeraFlex track bar. :D

Image Not Found

The factory track bar bolt (axle end) is metric. Going from memory, I'd guess it's 10mm.

The original hole on the bracket of my '88 MJ was badly egged out. The previous owner had drilled a new hole to offset the track bar when he lifted the truck, but I hated the lift and removed it so I had to use the original location again. A fellow NAXJA member who happens to live 2 miles from me also happens to be a VW tech, and he happened to have a box full of 10mm super hardened, double thick fender (large O.D.) washers left over from installing some VW factory fix kit. He welded one of those to the face of my bracket and it's been fine ever since.

Thanks for all the great info guys, my edubacation continues! Don, I would definitely guess my steering box is the issue of play, I'm pretty certain it's the original......with 214k on it. I will also need to do a set of the offset ball joints when I get around to this stuff. The front tires look a little duck-footed \ / at standstill.

I've run both styles.

I actually prefer HEIM joints to TRE's. for ease of removal in order to adjust. yes, the HEIM's go out faster....but at least I can get the darn thing out without fearing for smashing my hand up while getting the TRE out. I don't have fancy TRE pullers so my tool of choice on TRE's is a BFH and a BF crobar.

what I would really like is to have one like my brother's on his xj (forget what brand) that just has a rubber bushing on each end and uses a HD brace up top. combine that with one like hornbrod's with the adjuster sleeve, and I'd be happier than a pig in s$$t

IMHO stay away from hiems for street use. Been there, done that,

never again.

Hornbrod is right, I had a Tera-flex unit and killed it, upgraded to a JKS unit. I liked it well enough. That was on the TJ. I am running a modified WJ setup (Bushings on both ends.) on the MJ. Its also a JKS unit modified to Kevin's off-road specs. VERY nice and heavy duty unit!!

Neither of my choices was the cheapest, but when you add up all I bought to get what I have I would have been FAR and AWAY better off to had listened to someone telling me buy the better unit now or PAY for MORE later.

CW

Hornbrod is right, I had a Tera-flex unit and killed it, upgraded to a JKS unit. CW

I thought it was you CW-man. Just curious - how did you break it?

Big tires and too much flex... :yes: :dunno: :shake:

I truly feel it was a faulty part. It basically wore out too fast. Traflex replaced it but then same thing happened about a year later. We measured the deflection and they would not warranty it a second time so I upgraded to the JKS unit. That was 2005, the JKS is still there and going strong.

CW