stuck in 4wd

I did a search but it didn't like "4wd in" from my "stuck in w4wd" terminology.

I recently bought an 88 comanche. It is an I6 manual 4X4 with a D44.

I had been doing some steering column work on it and drove it around the edge of the field and put it through all the 4wd cycles just to make sure everything was ok.

yesterday I was going down the highway on about an 8 mile drive. When i pulled into the parking lot i realized it was still in 4hi even though the shifter says it is in 2wd.

any ideas for what to look for?

I'm unsure what transmission or xfercase is in it though i am pretty sure everything in it is stock.

thanks in advance!

Chris

i did some reading on jeepforum and found some hints to try.

putting in reverse, shifting while in neutral, shifting in various speeds

as well as crawling under there and making sure everything looks ok with the linkage.

any other ideas?

I like Pete's reply, but when mine did that it was due to a broken vacuum line to the driveshaft disconnect from the transfer case causing it to hang up. Not sure why though :(

Having the CAD not dis-engage cannot make you stuck in 4wd. The only problem a bad vacuum system can cause is not allowing you to go into 4wd.

If you can't get out, it's a T-case or linkage problem.

I would check the fluid. When mine was running low it wouldn't go out of 4wd. There's a plate to force it into 4wd when you pull the handle, but just a spring to push the fork out of 4wd. If it's not lubed up enough, the spring won't be able to kick it back.

thanks guys, there is no light in my MJ but many of the dash items aren't working exactly right so maybe it is there and not working.

I can feel it pulling on pavement when turning and it would sometimes bark the front tires a little so i am pretty sure it is in 4WD. It also does fine going straight.

I checked the fluid on Saturday before my little trip and it was good though it wouldn't surprise me if it needs changing. Is there regular transmission type fluid in the xfer case? It seemed a lot thinner than gear oil.

one more thing, how do i get the plug out of my manual tranny to check that fluid? It doesn't look like a 3/8 drive extension will fit and i would expect a 1/4 would be too small/light.

thanks again, Chris.

The t-case takes ATF fluid.

If i remember right, that square hole in the Peugeot trans is metric. Most of us find an old 3/8" extension to sacrifice and ground of a tiny bit. Always make sure you can get the fill plug out before you pull the drain plug. :thumbsup:

my friends mj has the same problem. turning the wheels full lock to lock going slow in 2wd helps it pop out. not sure why but it does. sometimes you can stand on it and hit the brakes and it pops out. but thats not a very safe thing for the road

The t-case takes ATF fluid.

If i remember right, that square hole in the Peugeot trans is metric. Most of us find an old 3/8" extension to sacrifice and ground of a tiny bit. Always make sure you can get the fill plug out before you pull the drain plug. :thumbsup:

:agree: Just grind down a crappy 3/8 inch ext thats what I did :chillin: jamminz.gif

on being stuck in 4WD, this is my extra vehicle so I don't have to drive it.

i sprayed under there with PB Blaster and cycled from 4lo to 2 hi and backed up about 50 feet and i'm pretty sure it is unlocked now. i was able to turn a pretty tight circle in a cul-de-sac without the front tires barking.

ON the tranny plug, thanks for the info. I might try to grind down an old extension and see how that works or if I am in the parts store anytime soon i might see if they have a tool for it. I expect if that plug is hard to extract it might just bust a ground down extension.

Anyone ever tried to get a replacement plug and weld a bolt/nut to it or something for future removals?

yeah ive seen people weld bolts. an extension is like $4 at sears. just do it. if it strips, bring it to your local well trusted garage (not pep boys or something cheesy) and have them extract it with the right size extractor. i had this problem but i work at a garage so it was already there. and i wam-bamed it out. i wouldnt reccomend welding a nut cause you can get slag and spit in there. isnt it aluminum anyway?