Wagoneer axel?

Clayton's Off-Road has done a number of these conversions for XJs in Clayton's local club. I believe he now sells a bracket kit for converting the front axle from leaf spring to coils.

Remember you're going from 5-lug to 6-lug rims so you'll be buying new rims all around.

Clayton's Off-Road has done a number of these conversions for XJs in Clayton's local club. I believe he now sells a bracket kit for converting the front axle from leaf spring to coils.

Remember you're going from 5-lug to 6-lug rims so you'll be buying new rims all around.

I am sure that bracket kit is better than the Rubicon Express kit (I had to open everything up to fit in the 44, I am sure the kit would have worked fine with a 30) :nuts:

One of the problems involved is that the Dana 44 housing is larger than the Dana 30 housing. To fit the bracket for the left (driver's) side coil, you have to cut away a portion of the housing where the tube is pressed in, then fit up the bracket and weld everything together. The housing is cast nodular iron, not "steel," so it requires a bit more than your average backyard welder (meaning the operator, not the machine) to do it right.

It's a very workable conversion, and Clayton's kit is probably the best way to accomplish it. But it ain't for the faint of heart. His shop/factory is in Waterbury, Connecticut. Give 'em a call and ask their advice.

Eagle is 100% correct on the welding of cast center sections, or just welding cast steel in general. It requires special rods ( HI nickle) and yoou have to pre heat and post heat. If done correctly.. you are golden, if done improperly you just ruined the axle. See, cast steel (nodular) expands at a different rate then say axle tubes.