transmision or transfer case 92 comanche

hello i have a problem with trans yesterday morning going to work the think just quit pulling in drive lost all gears stuck on side of the road but when i put it in 4 wheel drive it will pull or drive i know the transfer case was going bad because it makes a noise and pops when you put it in 4 wheel drive the truck won't hold in park anymore with engine off it rolls but it will hold when you leave 4 wheel in , you can't put it in 4 wheel unless engine is off then start it if engine is running it grinds when trying to put it in like something spinning is this the tranfer case finally going out or transmision becouse it was shifting great

I've seen several 8 1/4 diffs in XJ's that snapped the pinion gear shaft. Obviously they were defective as the Jeeps were stock. NOT that that is what happened to this truck, but stuff does happen.

Hard to imagine what would have broken in a 231 case (guessing that is what it is) that would make it useless in 2wd but OK in 4wd, except for the end of the output shaft.

well i finaaly got the truck home and got to looking around under the truck and found that i could see the hub sticking out from the brakes the rear axle had worked loose and is sticking out looks like it came loose from that small clamp that looks like a half washer so i still dropped the transfer case couse its going bad but i will replace the axle and possible one of the small gears in the rear i have a wrecked 2 wheel drive hope the axle are the same