A tale of woe

aemsee

I have been wanting a 242 t-case so that my truck is easier to drive in the winter months up here in CNY. Not finding a 21 spline anywhere, mjeff sent a 21 spline input to me to use in a 23 spline case I had (for cost of shipping. great guy, great club). Spent a sunday tearing down the 242, checking everything, changing some seals and bearings and installing the 21 input.

Upon reassembly, the extension housing wouldn't tighten down over the pump. :dunno:(good reason for NOT using air tools to assmeble stuff) . After taking it apart and reassembling it two more times I realized that the bearing on the 21 spline input wasn't installed as deep as the 23 spline input. This was what was keeping the output shaft assy too high. No problem. Quick trip to the press seated the bearing deeper. Reassemble......NOOOO...now it is too deep :doh: . Since it is a blind hole I needed to "invent" a puller to bring it back out 3/8 of an inch. That only took about an hour! :wall: .

Finally, success. Bearing proper depth and case successfully glued together. jamminz.gif . That was two weeks ago.

Today I went to work to install it. Pulled the 231, no problem. Go to install the 242 and it darn near slid off the trans jack :eek: ! Reposition it and jack her up. Get it lined up, wiggle it a bit and slide it on. But then it stops short , by about 1/2 an inch or so :hmm: . Try to draw it down with the nuts, no dice. Thinking the input seal housing was a tad larger, out comes the case. Nope, seal housing is the same.....OH NOOO....input shaft to trans output shaft depth is wrong :fs1: . Must be two different length outputs. :ack:

Back in goes the old 231. Now I have a total of about 12 hours in to the rebuild and attempted installation. God I love my jeeps!

Oh, to top it off, the speedo didn't work after putting the 231 back in.

I'd be more concerned with metal shavings getting into the transmission.

You'd need it spinning so you can cut all the way around it.

You could do a variation of it... Get the case in there, mark where you would make the cut like he suggested, pull it out and cut it outside of the truck.

Geez Joe...I didn't mean to create such a mess for ya :ack:

Jeff

As I was writing this I was worried you might feel bad about it. DON"T!. I'm still liking the idea on hacking off the output shaft. Unless I can figure out how to get that whole 242 from you (IF it has the deep input shaft).

Since the output seal on the AW4 seals against the t-case input shaft, the trans is wide open.

No, the AW4 does not seal against the transfer case. The output seal is in the AW4 tailhousing. Look inside the recess the output shaft sticks out of. You should be able to see the sealed end of the case through the tailhousing.

Willy

Since the output seal on the AW4 seals against the t-case input shaft, the trans is wide open.

No, the AW4 does not seal against the transfer case. The output seal is in the AW4 tailhousing. Look inside the recess the output shaft sticks out of. You should be able to see the sealed end of the case through the tailhousing.

Willy

So, you are saying that there is NO fluid in the extension housing on the AW4? That is just not true. And since I can see between the output seal and the output shaft, then it most certainly seals against the t-case input hub.

Willy

So, you are saying that there is NO fluid in the extension housing on the AW4? That is just not true. And since I can see between the output seal and the output shaft, then it most certainly seals against the t-case input hub.

I would say you have a seal that needs to be replaced. There shouldn't be any fluid there. There is no gasket or silicone between the transfer case and transmission to retain fluid in the tail housing.

Think of it this way. What would be the point of fluid in the tail housing? There is nothing to lubricate and there is no way for the fluid to circulate through the rest of the transmission once it gets back there.

Willy

Willy

I would say you have a seal that needs to be replaced. There shouldn't be any fluid there. There is no gasket or silicone between the transfer case and transmission to retain fluid in the tail housing.

Think of it this way. What would be the point of fluid in the tail housing? There is nothing to lubricate and there is no way for the fluid to circulate through the rest of the transmission once it gets back there.

Willy

You are confusing the space between the extension housing/ transfer case and the extension housing/ transmission.

Willy

WHAT tailhousing?

The tailhousing is on the OUTPUT end of the transfer case. We're dealing with the INPUT end. There is no tailshaft or tailshaft housing between the transmission and the transfer case.

Please, everyone, let's all get on the same page here, and use the correct terminology.

Willy

WHAT tailhousing?

The tailhousing is on the OUTPUT end of the transfer case. We're dealing with the INPUT end. There is no tailshaft or tailshaft housing between the transmission and the transfer case.

Please, everyone, let's all get on the same page here, and use the correct terminology.

I was referring to the output and tail housing of the transmission. The part that is bolted to the end of the transmission and that the transfer case bolts to.

Willy