T-case interchange?

I have found a new Transmission from a 1986 MJ 2.8 with TF904 mated to a command trac 207 T case.

My Truck is a 1986 MJ 2.8 with a TF 904 mated to a NP229 selec trac T case.

So the only difference is the donor vehicles T-case is a NP207 and my truck has a NP229 can I use the transmission from this donor vehicle even if the T-cases are different? Your thoughts?

I was not aware of Selec-Trac ever being a stock option in a Comanche. Unless I'm wrong, the 207 is the correct one for your truck.

You can unbolt the transfer cases and set them side by side to compare case length and input shafts. Even IF the inputs are different, you can swap the case and transmission as a combo.

Hi Mvusse, thanks for the quick reply. I am certain my XLS MJ 86 2.8 T-case is Selec track. It has the ol crappy vaccum actuated 4x4 system. Unfortunately the donor vehicle T-case is a Command Trac 207. And worse yet I would have to purchase the T-case separate from the guy as he is not throwing it in with the TF904 which he states has 104k miles on it.

If I can get him down on the price of the tranny to around 200 bucks I may consider this transmission if I can bolt it to my 229 t case. I am thinking the shaft lengths will be the differing componants. Your thoughts?

The 229 should bolt up just fine.

I was not aware of Selec-Trac ever being a stock option in a Comanche. Unless I'm wrong, the 207 is the correct one for your truck.

You can unbolt the transfer cases and set them side by side to compare case length and input shafts. Even IF the inputs are different, you can swap the case and transmission as a combo.

Yes it was an option. Beaterjeep's 86 has it as well.

The 229 should bolt up just fine.

Yes it was an option. Beaterjeep's 86 has it as well.

Very correct, and I also have a SYE on said 229 Selectrac case. :brows: