It's Alive !!!

I had my Comanche on a four post lift and was changing the oil and filter on my 2.5L today, when the oil filter wrench slipped and contacted the starter solenoid. Suddenly, the engine was turning over (a technical term) and wouldn't stop. (Yes, I removed the wrench after it caused a spark.) Since I didn't have a wrench to disconnect the battery, the engine kept cranking (another technical term) until the battery was discharged and the front wheels were left hanging off the lift. The truck was in gear, and the keys were in my pocket. Thinking I had ruined the starter and the solenoid, I replaced them after I got the truck back on the lift, but when I reconnected the battery, the new starter started on its own.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have already ordered a starter relay. Other than the ignition switch, there is nothing else that I can see in the starter circuit.

I would start by isolating the circuit on a diagram, and taking connections out of the loop. Maybe you shorted a contact, or short to power somewhere. By isolating each part of the circuit, you can find the area(s) at fault.

Rob L.

i really hope that was after you refilled the oil, and not before. engine cranking till the battery dies with no oil in it :ack:

i gotta ask, 4 post lift but no tools to disconnect a battery?

Yeah, I know, but the tools were about 50 ft. from the truck, and it was up on the lift at the time. :oops:

i really hope that was after you refilled the oil, and not before. engine cranking till the battery dies with no oil in it :ack:

Yeah, I know, but the tools were about 50 ft. from the truck, and it was up on the lift at the time. :oops:

I take it there was a lot of:

" Holy crap! :eek: OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!, What do I do?!?! Jeez! :grrrr: Oh man!" **

**All while running in circles around the truck.

Been there, you'lll figure it out. No worries mate. We are here to help. ;)

Rob L.

I take it there was a lot of:

" Holy crap! :eek: OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!, What do I do?!?! Jeez! :grrrr: Oh man!" **

**All while running in circles around the truck.

Been there, you'lll figure it out. No worries mate. We are here to help. ;)

Rob L.

Let's just say, "it was scary." :eek:

I'm betting on the relay.....all that current passing thru the load side contacts, you probably melted it together.

Try pulling the starter relay out and swapping in one of the other ones (fuel pump, latch realy, or A/C if yours is so equipped). That'll at least let you know if the relay is fried or not. Or you can pull the relay and check for continuity between the two legs on the load side (there shouldn't be any). Can't remember what the numbers are (Hornbrod would know for sure :yes: ), but I'm thinking it's 85 and 87 as a SWAG. Look under the relay connector to see where the two larger gauge wires connect....those are the ones.

Jeff

I'm betting on the relay.....all that current passing thru the load side contacts, you probably melted it together.

Try pulling the starter relay out and swapping in one of the other ones (fuel pump, latch realy, or A/C if yours is so equipped). That'll at least let you know if the relay is fried or not. Or you can pull the relay and check for continuity between the two legs on the load side (there shouldn't be any). Can't remember what the numbers are (Hornbrod would know for sure :yes: ), but I'm thinking it's 85 and 87 as a SWAG. Look under the relay connector to see where the two larger gauge wires connect....those are the ones.

Jeff

My relay doesn't look like the 1" square plastic relays used for everything else. It is encased in metal and is about 1" wide and 2" long. It has a 5/16" post at the top with a lot of red wires attached. Under that is a spade terminal with a green wire going to the starter solenoid. Under that are two other spade terminals. One has a green wire going to the ignition, and the other one is a ground. I opened it up and looked inside, expecting to see a melted mess, but it looked brand new, and the contacts were not fused. I ordered a new one anyway.

-Tom

Yeah the starter relay is unique in the Renix, unlike the HOs. Tom, when you pull the starter relay, does it still crank when you re-connect the battery? It's too late now, but use a good insulator (a piece of sheet rubber is what I use) between the oil filter wrench and the solenoid contacts when changing the oil filter, especially an oversized filter. I would have bet my a$$ you fried the solenoid contacts, but since you replaced it, most logical now is the starter relay. :eek:

I vaguely remember having something like that happen when I reassembled the '88 Cherokee I refurbished for my ex-GF. Starter had come out because I had to move the tranny back to replace the flex plate. When I reinstalled the starter, I managed to set them so the little skinny wire (technical term) was making contact with the big fat wire (another technical term). As soon as I hooked up the battery, it cranked -- and cranked ... and cranked.

Is it possible that the wrench fused one of the wires sufficiently to melt through the insulation somewhere, allowing wires to touch that aren't supposed to?

Any chance of back-feed maybe melting the ignition switch on the steering column?

Hi, Everyone,

Problem solved. It was the starter relay --- or at least that was the last thing I changed. Funny thing was NAPA, Auto Zone and O'Reilly's all said that a 1989 Comanche with a 2.5 L did not have a starter relay. :wall: The local Mom & Pop ordered me one.

Eagle, we seem to have gone to the same technical academy. :cheers:

Don, from now on I will just disconnect the battery when I change the oil filter. :doh:

Thanks,

Tom

Great. Glad you got 'er done Tom. :cheers: I'd still do an in-depth eyeball check on all the mains cables and wires that originate from the starter, especially where they are in rubbing contact w. the frame and/or other wires and cables.