How noisy is your fuel pump?

I was at a rock store today, buying pavers and border stones. I took the MJ and 2WD LO was quite useful!! The MJ handled the weight great, no objections what so ever.

BUT.. as it sat there idling as I loaded the bed with the stone. I noticed quite a bit of noise from the fuel pump. So much so, the kid there helping me commented on it. Asking if I had something special for a pump. From the rear, its about as loud as the exhaust at idle.

SO, I wondered, how loud is yours??

CW

Nice cure Juan. CW, as far as noise for mine, the only time I hear it is when I turn the key on before starting. Do you have your ballast resistor still wired in the fuel pump circuit? The drop in operating voltage quiets it down quite a bit after starting.

Just for kicks and grins, check the voltage drop w. a DMM across the ballast w. the engine running. You should see about a volt or two. Might not being relay switched in the circuit on IGN RUN. :eek:

Mine is pretty noisy. I was going to post this question myself.

I remember it was always noisy even when new. It sounds as if I have a leaky air brake and yes, I would say it is as loud as the exaust. I have a new tank that was installed at the dealer about 4 years ago when my dad owned it. I have no idea if it was OEM or aftermarket. I assume it was OEM. I might crawl under there and check later. Thanks Juan. My fuel pump is pretty new too and the dealer installed it.

My son saw an old rusted Cherokee POS drive by and he said it sounded exactly like the Comanche, fuel pump and all. I always assumed it was normal.

But yes, it is annoying. And sorry CWLONGSHOT, I am glad to hear that someone else has the same problem. :waving:

my factory fuel pump was pretty quiet.the first time it went out i replaced it with a mopar pump and it was quiet.that pump lasted about 6 years and when it died i put a carter pump in it from the local federated store and it's louder than my 255 lph pump in my mustang.as long as it works i can live with it.

my factory fuel pump was pretty quiet.the first time it went out i replaced it with a mopar pump and it was quiet.that pump lasted about 6 years and when it died i put a carter pump in it from the local federated store and it's louder than my 255 lph pump in my mustang.as long as it works i can live with it.

I think I'm on the fourth pump and second tank...... The blooming things last 6mo to a year then give up the ghost.... Next time I think I'll bite the bullet and spring for a mopar unit.

CW

• 1 year later...

Sorry about bringing this back from the dead but.....

I have noticed more recently that the fuel pump is pretty loud but seems to have just recently gotten this way.

Has anyone noticed that the fuel pump instantly getting louder is a sign of it about to fail?