idle issues

sorry let me be more spacific my truck still idlen bout 1500 rpm. and after disconecting the tps there is no change even after driven round the block. if the part worked some change could be noticed after unpluging it rite?

I'd like to know this as well...I tested the tps connector volts with the ignotion on...and it was perfectly on spec. However, when I unplug it and drive I noticed zero difference in idle, or anything for that matter

Have you check the intake/exhaust manifold gasket possibly gone bad and now leaking causing the high idle. Try maybe spraying some carb cleaner around that area and see if you notice any changes in RPM's.

Dumb question here, but how safe is this? I mean do I just spray the general area as it's running, I'm just afraid of it dripping onto the exhaust manifold and well..you know :doh:

Vacuum lines all seem good....ground wires cleaned and all seemed well. Intake and exhaust manifold bolts were all tight.

This did become much more prevalant when the CPS was replaced though....Hmmmm? :hmm: I'm talking it will hold 5mph without any throttle, and it will climb up hills, albeit slowly, as well without me on the gas. Doesn't matter if the temp is at 100* or 210* same high idle either way. I noticed when on cold starts, it will rev up and then drop revs, then up again, in uniform waves, until it warms up slightly and then it's a constant high idle.

Also, my electric fan never has kicked on in the 4 years I've owned it and I know I've gotten it well past the point where it should when I had a bad clutch fan so I think it's possibly my CTS is shot? Plus, I seem to get a rough idle when at operating temp of 210*f. Also, In the 4 years I've owned it, the o2 sensor hasn't been replaced as well, but general tuneups have been done multiple times.

Judging from the fact that the CTS is the cheapest of the bunch, do you think it would be wise to try that first? I'm strapped on cash here and I've been trying everything within my means the past few days with zero change in idle. :wall:

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :cheers:

don't know if it shuda fixd it or not but check the air line in the front of the valvecover, my isues stoped after replacing... the rubber chunk at the cover was torn out of site so i changed it

I replaced that recently, but thanks for the suggestion

Have you check the intake/exhaust manifold gasket possibly gone bad and now leaking causing the high idle. Try maybe spraying some carb cleaner around that area and see if you notice any changes in RPM's.

Dumb question here, but how safe is this? I mean do I just spray the general area as it's running, I'm just afraid of it dripping onto the exhaust manifold and well..you know :doh:

As long as the engine hasn't heated up yet, the chance of fire is minimal.

Another option is to use a propane torch. Turn the gas on low and don't light it. then run the nozzle along the various places that could leak.

As long as the engine hasn't heated up yet, the chance of fire is minimal.

Another option is to use a propane torch. Turn the gas on low and don't light it. then run the nozzle along the various places that could leak.

thanks...will throttle body cleaner do the trick? as I don't have a torch or carb cleaner on hand

Also, when I disco the tps the idle and performance when driving is the same as when it was connected. Is that normal?

All I know is my truck was doing the same thing for years and was driving me nuts. Always blipping the throttle trying to make it go down, sometimes it would go down. Now if it was just intake/exhaust gasket leakage then it shouldn't change? right? Then I read about 4 ports injectors getting better gas mileage and power due to better fuel atomizations compare to our 2 ports, made sense, and since my injectors are pretty old anyways I decided to replace them, but I did it at the same time I replace the intake/exhaust gasket, but I believe it was the injectors or a maybe a combination of both? but all I know is my truck runs better than new and idles like a dream.

:clapping:

Image Not Found

All I know is my truck was doing the same thing for years and was driving me nuts. Always blipping the throttle trying to make it go down, sometimes it would go down. Now if it was just intake/exhaust gasket leakage then it shouldn't change? right? Then I read about 4 ports injectors getting better gas mileage and power due to better fuel atomizations compare to our 2 ports, made sense, and since my injectors are pretty old anyways I decided to replace them, but I did it at the same time I replace the intake/exhaust gasket, but I believe it was the injectors or a maybe a combination of both? but all I know is my truck runs better than new and idles like a dream.

I already have the ford 4-hole 19lb injectors.. Truth be told I noticed a fairly large mpg drop after installing them :ack:

Take off the intake hose (from the airbox to TB). Cover up the IACV hole and see if the engine dies. If it does NOT die, you have a fairly large vacuum leak.

Mine doesn't die (runs nicely at 600RPM) so I'm thinking my intake/exhaust manifold gasket is toasted.

Take off the intake hose (from the airbox to TB). Cover up the IACV hole and see if the engine dies. If it does NOT die, you have a fairly large vacuum leak.

Mine doesn't die (runs nicely at 600RPM) so I'm thinking my intake/exhaust manifold gasket is toasted.

It idle at about 600rpm compared to the estimated 1200rpm for about 15 seconds then started dying...it would have died if I didn't remove the block. What does this tell me?

Hmmm. Is there such a thing as a self-sealing vacuum leak?

Mine just drops down to ~600 and stays constant.

Hmmm not sure myself. Vacuum lines are far from my area of expertise.

However, one question is still haunting me. Why is it that when I unplug my tps, I feel zero difference in idle or under load while driving? It's identical with it connected, as it is when it's disco'ed.