Transfer Case compatibility

Just pulled everything out of my MJ. Getting ready to put the donor's motor in. Problem is the donor has the ba10/5, I've got my eye on a couple AX-15's just sitting around. I'm waiting to hear if they're 94' or newer, hoping to get an external slave type.

The question is this: I just pulled the Transfer case from my 2.5 four speed manual. Will that T-case work with a 94' or newer AX-15 tranny?

Or,... If I stay with the Donor's ba10/5 tranny will my T-case work with that?

Here's the T-case I just yanked:

Count the splines on the input shaft. :thumbsup: My guess is that it'll be 21 spline. The AX-15s are 23 spline. You couldn't pay me to run a Peugeot in my trucks, so I'd go about finding either a 23 spline t-case (preferably the later models with the sealed rear output) or find a 23 spline input shaft and swap that into your current t-case.

The cases from the AX-4 and BA 10/5 are probably also different input lengths, too.

This is true for the older AX-5's to BA10/5...so I would assume it's true for the AX-4?

My buddies 2001 TJ with 2.5/AX-5...short input shaft.

My 86 MJ with 2.8/AX-5...longer input shaft.

My 87 MJ with 4.0/BA 10/5...short input shaft.

Hope that helps.

The cases from the AX-4 and BA 10/5 are probably also different input lengths, too.

This is true for the older AX-5's to BA10/5...so I would assume it's true for the AX-4?

My buddies 2001 TJ with 2.5/AX-5...short input shaft.

My 86 MJ with 2.8/AX-5...longer input shaft.

My 87 MJ with 4.0/BA 10/5...short input shaft.

Hope that helps.

Yup, I mentioned that because they did away with the AX-4 ~92 I believe, and I think the change from the long to short was a few years after that.