Ball Joints

Well, I spent the day helping my Dad replace... or attempt to replace... the upper and lower ball joints on his '91 XJ 4WD.

Everything went fairly smooth until we started trying to press the ball studs out of the axle yoke. Both the upper and lower must be rusted in something fierce because even the removal/installation tool we bought wouldn't even budge them. :headpop:

Sound familiar to anyone. Anyone have any good tips for getting them out??? :help:

Lol .....Well when i did my ball joints i crushed one when I was putting it in.........when I did mine the old joints were rusted in pretty good, but the press i used poped them right out........if your using a rachet put a cheater bar on the end so you can turn it .......... i tried using an impact driver and it didn't work hade to man handle it ....... :cheers:

We tried a cheater bar, no luck.... I'll try rapping on the yoke with a hammer while it is under pressure.

It may just be the press we have but the threaded end where the wrench attaches to is way up in the wheel well and tough to use a cheater bar on.... I couldn't use an impact on the upper if I wanted to.

We tried alot of heat and alot of heat while under pressure... no luck there either.

Mine were a bear to get out too. My problem with the ball joint service kit was that it didn't fit squarely over the bottom of the yoke (lower ball joint). I cannibalized the 4WD service socket from my K-10 Suburban and cut the tabs off it so I had a nice, thick socket that fit the lower yoke perfectly. I cut the threaded part of the ball joint off (too long for my socket) and wrapped 2 wrenches on the press.

If you pull the upper joints out first you can thread the ball joint press through the hole in the upper yoke. My uppers required a long cheater bar to get out. This was for the 2WD MJ but I'd imagine the 4WD is identical.

Mine were a bear to get out too. My problem with the ball joint service kit was that it didn't fit squarely over the bottom of the yoke (lower ball joint). I cannibalized the 4WD service socket from my K-10 Suburban and cut the tabs off it so I had a nice, thick socket that fit the lower yoke perfectly. I cut the threaded part of the ball joint off (too long for my socket) and wrapped 2 wrenches on the press.

If you pull the upper joints out first you can thread the ball joint press through the hole in the upper yoke. My uppers required a long cheater bar to get out. This was for the 2WD MJ but I'd imagine the 4WD is identical.

Same problem here with our kit! :mad: We saw the same thing and are trying to get the upper out first too. It's looking like some more heat, a cheater bar, and alot of muscle are going to be the ticket to success.

What he said, usually helps alot

While you have them under pressuer try tapping (whack) the yoke around the ball joint with a hammer, sometimes that will help them release any stress their under and start coming out. :dunno:

We'll definitely give that a shot too. :yes:

Got 'em out today!!! :clapping:

Whacking the yoke with a hammer while they were under pressure and some help from the cheater bar were the ticket to success. It took a bit of work but they finally came out.

Thanks for the advice... now it's time to get the new ones in :roll: