Truck won't run. *VIDEO* Need idea's

Left work last night.. truck started.. went about 1.5 miles and it died. Has not started and run since.

So far..

Changed out fuel filter (New Fram Filter)

Disconnected battery for 30 min's.

Left key in ON for 4 min's

I shot the video just a few min's ago. Hope is that the audio will help with idea's

Headed to work (Have to be there today)

I will check this later tonight.

Video is at http://www.kenschneider.com/comanche/startingproblems.wmv just under 4mb in size

Any idea's.. any help.. Anything is great.

I am a computer guy.. really.. I am at a loss here.

Also when I put the key in ON.. I hear the Fuel pump go about 10-15 seconds. I assume that is to build pressure in the line.

Also I have pressed the schrader valve on the fuel rail and do get release of a small amount of fuel there.

Hoping it's not the pump. that is not an easy fix.

fuel pressure regulator....... :chillin:

fuel pump????

the 1st is more likly mine did the exact same thing when the FPS went out......It would turn over like it wanted to start and then i would smell gas then would start for like 4 seconds sputter and die. :chillin: good luck

Left work last night.. truck started.. went about 1.5 miles and it died. Has not started and run since.

So far..

Changed out fuel filter (New Fram Filter)

Disconnected battery for 30 min's.

Left key in ON for 4 min's

I shot the video just a few min's ago. Hope is that the audio will help with idea's

Headed to work (Have to be there today)

I will check this later tonight.

Video is at http://www.kenschneider.com/comanche/startingproblems.wmv just under 4mb in size

Any idea's.. any help.. Anything is great.

I am a computer guy.. really.. I am at a loss here.

Also when I put the key in ON.. I hear the Fuel pump go about 10-15 seconds. I assume that is to build pressure in the line.

Also I have pressed the schrader valve on the fuel rail and do get release of a small amount of fuel there.

Ok there should be no fuel in the vaccume line if there is you need to replace the fuel pressure regulator. :agree:

Ok there should be no fuel in the vaccume line if there is you need to replace the fuel pressure regulator. :agree:

schreader valve is on the fuel rail, not the pressure regulator. it is normal to get fuel out of the schraeder valve. it is NOT normal to get no fuel from it when depressed.

sounds to me that your CPS has failed. it's probably melted to the exhaust manifold.

schreader valve is on the fuel rail, not the pressure regulator. it is normal to get fuel out of the schraeder valve. it is NOT normal to get no fuel from it when depressed.

sounds to me that your CPS has failed. it's probably melted to the exhaust manifold.

Uhhhhhh Yea the Fuel pressure regulator plugs into the front of the fuel rail check it out yo...... :chillin:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 4%26um%3D1

the schraeder valve is on the rail like pat said, the regulator is different from the schraeder valve. i didn't read that he said fuel was in the vacuum line.

check fuel pressure to know for sure what that is.

i've also had dirty throttle bodies act like that, but you can get them running by feathering the gas, and keeping it running.

the schraeder valve is on the rail like pat said, the regulator is different from the schraeder valve. i didn't read that he said fuel was in the vacuum line.

check fuel pressure to know for sure what that is.

i've also had dirty throttle bodies act like that, but you can get them running by feathering the gas, and keeping it running.

Ok We know this, however the fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail......And could very well be causing his problem........It would pay off to at least have a look at it .........take the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure reg and see if there is any gas in it.............gee :chillin:

Well...based on your description, I would have said CPS was almost definite, but after watching your video and hearing it fire and run for a short time, I am believing that there is a fuel problem. You need to be able to check the fuel pressure to start with. If the pressure is low, the best thing to do is pull the pump/sending unit out of hte tank and check the little hose that is on the inside of the tank for failure. If that is good, then it's likely the pump.

The other stuff you are doing with disconnecting the battery, turning hte key on, etc. has no effect on anything in a Renix controlled truck. ;)

I'm I the only one who thinks its the fuel pressure regulator??? :nuts: ??? He said he can hear the pump turn on for like 10 seconds............................. Well I'm very interested to find out what it ends up being .......... :chillin:

He should be able to hear the pump, that is normal. 10 seconds may be a little long, as mine pumps up in about 3-4 seconds, but the regulator is quite unlikely...but possible. If the pump is running that long to pressurize, I would think that there is a good chance the little hose inside the tank has broken.

I noticed the tach isn't moving while cranking. Is that normal? I'm not positive on these Jeeps but in most vehicles I know the tach feed is directly from the coil, so no tach means no spark. I've heard a lot about the CPS stuff does this correlate with what usually happens with those? Unfortunately you were giving a nice view of the steering column when it started so I couldn't see what it was doing when it briefly ran.

Well, before seeing your clip, my first thought was also the CPS. I still feel that could be it, altho it usually works or it does not. USUALLY its not an intermittent problem. I would test the pressure at the fuel rail and see what you have. A bad fuel pump can do strange things like this.

Its not a very hard job!! I have done it three times on my MJ alone!! (I keep getting bad units!)

CW

How do I attach a gauge to the fuel rail?

I think I saw 40#'s??

and the CPS? Crank Positioning Sensor?.. where? How?

Computers.. I understand.. Car's.. I try.. yet fail.

Images.. good..

Took the day off tomorrow.. just to fix this

How do I attach a gauge to the fuel rail?

I think I saw 40#'s??

and the CPS? Crank Positioning Sensor?.. where? How?

Computers.. I understand.. Car's.. I try.. yet fail.

Images.. good..

Took the day off tomorrow.. just to fix this

GOOD, your in luck!! the CPS is part of the jeeps computer system!!! Ha ha :rotfl2: :yes: :D

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl637i.htm

http://autorepair.about.com/library/ill ... 860lib.htm

HAHAHA..

yeah.. like when I told my dad I could install windows.. and he had me help him put in Dual Pane Sliding glass windows in his house..

Ok.. so.. how do I know.. CPS.. or Pressure regulator? or.. Trial and error?? or is there a sure way.

and how hard is the CPS to get to..

you gotta know fuel pressure, or else everything else is just a guess. it isn't hard to check and a test gauge can be bought cheap at your local discount auto parts store. just plug it into the schrader valve on the rail, then crank the engine.

gotta know pressure, spark,and injector pulse to get a real diagnosis.

sounds like a fuel problem, but try giving it some throttle when its starting, sometimes i've had dirty throttle bodies do exactly what yours does, but by working the throttle you can start them and keep them running shortly. cleaning the throttle body is super simple, and should be done anyway.

Going to grab some carb cleaner.. throttle body was kinda grimy..

gotta see if I can find/borrow a pressure gauge.

Is 40#'s right? low?? High?

Guess I am going to be reading up in the Chiltons tonight.

I think everyone is good at one thing in the world.. and mine is NOT car repair.. :D :mad:

Thats what my truck was doing when the lil rubber hose inside the tank was almost off and had holes in it. Get a fuel pressure tester hook it up and try it again. You observe the dial while someone turns(cranks) it over. Replacing the pump isnt that bad. Jack the rear up, disconnect all the wires/hoses going to the pump, take a flat screwdriver, and tap the lock ring off. Pull the pump out (it has a tab on the end of the pump inside the tank that slips into a rubber "receptacle" attached inside and to the tank) Thats the hardest part of the job, is getting the tab to seat in that rubber receptacle when putting the pump back in. The tester is easy to hook up, you might have to hold it down on some vac lines to let it connect straight onto the fuel rail valve, but it should be pretty self explanatory. First off is getting a fuel pressure reading, cause I'm 100% thats what it is.. Its getting spark (its sputtering) Its getting air (it runs for a sec) and the only thing you need to keep it running is a supply of fuel.

GET THE FUEL PRESSURE TESTED ASAP.............

edit:

Pressure readings are 35-40 psi with vac line removed from the round thing on the end of the fuel rail(Fuel Pressure Regulator) around 38 psi running.

Hook up your tester, It will have a pressure release button that has a long tube coming off it, put long tube into a bottle to collect bypassed fuel, press the button while having someone turn the key "ON" not "CRANK" and check for fuel flow, and to help prime the fuel rail. when you get a few secs of fuel flow release button on tester and check what the pressure goes up too.

GET back to us with the results...

Uhhhhhh Yea the Fuel pressure regulator plugs into the front of the fuel rail check it out yo...... :chillin:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 4%26um%3D1

yeah. um. reread. then pull foot out of mouth. then learn proper interpretation of written explanations.

he said nothing to do with the pressure regulator, and everything to do with fuel coming from the schraeder valve, which is in itself a completely different thing from a pressure regulator, and is not an indication of fuel in vacuum lines.

I think you jumped a few bridges to what is most likely the wrong conclusion

You can change the pump with the tank in the truck, that's what I did the first time I changed one. However, I strongly recommend dropping the tank to do it.

1. You can see what you're doing.

2. You don't have to struggle to find room for the hammer to get the lock ring on/off.

3. You don't have to worry about crap falling in the tank.

4. Fumes don't give you a headache.

5. With it out, you can pop one of the vapor line grommets off and take a look inside to make sure the rubber stopper is in place and your sending unit won't shake itself apart.

6. It's a lot easier to get the rubber O-ring to reseal.

The only advantage I can think of by doing it in the truck is that the dropped D.S. makes a nice pillow.

You may save the time of dropping the tank, but I would take the few extra hours to make sure you don't have to do it a second time because you ran around all winter not being able to fill it past 3/4.

got a Fuel Pressure testing guage.

Turn on the truck.. whine of the pump.. and.. pressure is at <5lbs

Talked to my guy at the AMC place here in town.. and he seems to think it's a small hose.. in the tank.. that connects the pump and sending unit. jtdesigns mentioned it.

Headed out to check into getting the ring off.. and pulling this..

it's 99 in the shade here right now.. I am 6'4" and about 320.. I am one BIG sweaty dude right now.. what fun.

Putting up some tarps to TRY to shade me.. but.. yeah.. this is just not fun.

Did I mention I work on computers.. inside.. with the AC on? Just wanted to reiterate that fact.

got a Fuel Pressure testing guage.

Turn on the truck.. whine of the pump.. and.. pressure is at <5lbs

Talked to my guy at the AMC place here in town.. and he seems to think it's a small hose.. in the tank.. that connects the pump and sending unit. jtdesigns mentioned it.

Headed out to check into getting the ring off.. and pulling this..

it's 99 in the shade here right now.. I am 6'4" and about 320.. I am one BIG sweaty dude right now.. what fun.

Putting up some tarps to TRY to shade me.. but.. yeah.. this is just not fun.

Did I mention I work on computers.. inside.. with the AC on? Just wanted to reiterate that fact.

if it makes you feel any better, that painted an awesome mental picture for me :rotf: