I'm starting to get an idea of what i want my truck to look like and i knew what i needed it to do when i bought it. I'm looking at a lift and at least 33s. I'm not rock crawlin or driving on the the highway so the 4.0 should be fine for getting me to, through and back from the woods. i need the clearance for the orange groves though, and with the d35 everything i have read says it will break even going down the road at the speed limit. what should i be looking at to get a d44 (vehicle wise) that will provide the easiest swap? any help is much appreciated...

The MJ/XJ Dana 44 or the '97+ XJ 8.25 needs perches welded on (I'm assuming you're going SOA in the rear to fit those 33s). Explorer 8.8 needs a bit of work but is still doable. The pluses to the Exp 8.8 are disk brakes (95-01) and available factory 4.10 gears.

would the 8.8 be the easiest swap for the mj, I'm not a fabricator but pretty mechanically sound..what would your suggestion be to get at least 32s under the truck, when I'm only using it to drive 20 miles to where i hunt then idleing around in the groves? is a axle swap necessary. i know the mj without serious mods is not hot rod or buggy i just don't know if the axle will hold up to puttering around town every now and again and riding through the woods.

would the 8.8 be the easiest swap for the mj, I'm not a fabricator but pretty mechanically sound..what would your suggestion be to get at least 32s under the truck,

No, the 8.8 would NOT be the easiest swap. The absolute easiest, obviously, would be an MJ Dana 44. Since they are becoming scarce, next up would be an XJ Dana 44 or an XJ Chrysler 8-1/4. Both of those will need the spring perches relocated ... even if you plan on a 6" lift and spring-over (SOA) conversion, the spacing is different for the MJ than the XJ so they'll still need to be moved.

With the 8.8, in addition to the perches you also have to deal with changing the pinion yoke to fit the MJ driveshaft, and the fact that the 8.8 is significantly narrower than the MJ axles. To run 32s or 33s with an 8.8 you would absolutely need either aftermarket rims with a LOT less backspacing than factory (which would result in other problems if you run matching rims up front), or spacers for the rear. Using an XJ axle is a lot cleaner and easier. And the 8-1/4, if you get the 29-spline version from a '97 or newer XJ, is nearly as strong as a Dana 44.

how can i tell which axle is under the vehicle as well as what the spline count is before i buy the vehicle/axle? :dunce:

There are many online sources for picture ID help.

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle- ... -chart.htm

http://thejeep.com/shop/information.php?info_id=7

As for the splines in the 8.25, buy one from a 1997 XJ and you can be fairly certain it will be the 29Spl. The only ways to know for sure is from axle ID numbers or actually removing covers and counting splines.

CW