Wheel rotates hard after changing front brake pads

Geez Don I must have been out to lunch on this one as I had not seen the thread until now. I'm sorry I didn't chime in sooner, but the fact that the pads are slightly different comes as news to me as well. In any case I'm glad it worked out for you.

It is timely that is came up though, as my daughter told me the Firestone guys (that check her car before she comes home from college) told her the RF caliper was intermittently sticking and they wanted (are ya sitting down?) $788.00 to replace the calipers, pads, turn the rotors and bleed the system.

Needless to say I picked up new calipers, rotors, soft lines and pads today and will be changing the lot this weekend.

I have a '77 J20 DD. 4-5 years ago I did a complete brake job on it, front, rear, rotors, calipers, pads, drums, shoes, master an wheel cylinders an new fluid. Before I did the job my brakes were quit, not a sound. After the BJ the front let out with a loud squealing every time I braked. Put a couple hundred miles on it still squealed. Disassembled the front end, inspected every thing. Nothing. A couple thousand miles, still noisy. Disassembled, cleaned everything. Still noisy. Tried a anti squeak goop. No avail. I just live with it. :dunno:

Assume this is for Ralph the 94? Ralph? :D 1991-1992-1/2 were bastard years for MJ 2WD brakes, but they standardized the 2WD/4WD rotors in 93, and the calipers are different than my 91, but the dratted pads and anti-rattle clips are the same, so the above applies. Suggest picking up a set of new clips too as they will be tighter than the old ones and hold the pads better. Oh, and if the new calipers don't come with new slide pins (they usually do) you can reuse the old ones, but grind off about half the little tit (for lack of a better word) that guides the threaded pin into the caliper bracket hole, or it may bottom out when snugged up as the new pads will be thicker. :cheers:

I have a '77 J20 DD. 4-5 years ago I did a complete brake job on it, front, rear, rotors, calipers, pads, drums, shoes, master an wheel cylinders an new fluid. Before I did the job my brakes were quit, not a sound. After the BJ the front let out with a loud squealing every time I braked. Put a couple hundred miles on it still squealed. Disassembled the front end, inspected every thing. Nothing. A couple thousand miles, still noisy. Disassembled, cleaned everything. Still noisy. Tried a anti squeak goop. No avail. I just live with it. :dunno:

I tried living with it but it drove me batty. Probably something simple or a combination of simples causing it. Different aftermarket manufacturers have different tolerances, for example some pads are thicker than others, the notches are too small, the pad material itself has different shapes, etc. On one set I did on my 01 XJ I had to dremel out the notches just so they could mount the brackets. I assume it's because most of the stuff is now manufactured "offshore". :(

muppets5-large.jpg

it's those damn blasted anti-rattle clips I tell ya.....and that dumb frog sold me the wrong brake pads!

:D

:jump:

:teehee:

Yea........leave it to MJeff to come up with that :rotfl2:

Don.......That's interesting that the brake pads are shaped different :hmm:

Something to really keep in mind down the road :thumbsup:

Assume this is for Ralph the 94? Ralph? :D 1991-1992-1/2 were bastard years for MJ 2WD brakes, but they standardized the 2WD/4WD rotors in 93, and the calipers are different than my 91, but the dratted pads and anti-rattle clips are the same, so the above applies. Suggest picking up a set of new clips too as they will be tighter than the old ones and hold the pads better. Oh, and if the new calipers don't come with new slide pins (they usually do) you can reuse the old ones, but grind off about half the little tit (for lack of a better word) that guides the threaded pin into the caliper bracket hole, or it may bottom out when snugged up as the new pads will be thicker. :cheers:

Hey - she named it, I just went along :rotf:

I actually splurged and purchased a $54.00 set of ceramic pads that are coated with a neoprene backing so they are guarenteed not to make a sound. We will see, as she just pulled in about 30 min ago, and after inspection I believe the right caliper is toast.

The new calipers do come with the slide pins, and for $54.00 the pads better have new clips :roll: