99 Clutch Master Cylinder into 87 MJ

I'm converting my 87 MJ 2wd to 4wd. The trans, clutch,and MC assy came out of a 99 XJ. Here was my problem and how I solved it.

This is a pic of where the 87 MC mounted.

And this is a pic of the configuration of how the 99 MC would mount.

The problem is that the 87 mounts at the 12 and 6 O'clock position, and the 99 mounts at the 5 and 11 O'clock position.

Another problem is the bolt mounting centers are also different.

I thought about just drilling holes at the 5 and 11 as shown by the Xs, and I also trimmed the index on the mount thinking that if I rotated the mount I might be able to gain a more favorable mounting position.

I eventually left it in the stock location at the 5 and 11 position.

To gain more room, I rerouted the hood release cable threw the grommet to the upper right in this view.

Then I cut a 4"x4" piece of 3/16 steel. Cut a 1 1/2" hole in the center, welded 2-3/8" bolts to the backside, on the stock mounting centers.

Then I Cut the 99 mount into a round shape, welded it onto my new mounting plate.

Hows this for my first weld project with my new HF welder? Better than some guys can't do.... :yes:

Although it still looks like DOO-DOO.

The reason that I didn't just drill holes at the 5 and 11 positions is this, first there might have been clearance issues on the backside and second and most important part is that if I did this then structurally I would be putting the force/stress of using the clutch on the sheetmetal of the firewall alone. The force needs to be on this bracket.

If I was to do anything different I would have taken the time to remove this bracket/brace from the backside of the firewall,before I did any fabricating. There is only one bolt holding it on when the MC is removed.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I would have removed this bracket for 2 reasons. One, the stud on the bottom has to be removed (I tried to remove it the hard way, cutting drilling it from the engine side) Do yourself a favor and take it off from the backside of the firewall, way easier! And second it can be used as a jig in setting up your mounting bracket to insure you have the correct bolt centers.

Well all that is left is to take finished pictures of the install, but first I have to get a plug for where the hood release cable originally ran. Then I can put a bead of sealant behind it and bolt it up!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work, but not tryin to knock what you did or anything, but why couldn't you just get the clutch master cylinder from like a mid '90s XJ with a 5spd? When I did my AX-15 swap I picked up one at the j/y and it just bolted in

I would have, but the JY that I bought the AX-15 from is halfway across the state and Montana is a big state. I bought the trans and accessories sight unseen (delivered by truck) from info I got from the Car-Part.com web site. The JY told me the parts were off of a 99 Cherokee (and according to the bill of lading), Then I never got around to installing these parts till lately. Also since, the MC had a different configuration, I assumed.... it was because of the different years. Last of all, I didnt have any idea that I had a TJ MC, as I had no reason to think or research for otherwise. Oh Well.....Done deal now.

That wouldn't have been structurally correct, as the support for the MC comes from the mounting bracket behind the firewall.If I would have drilled where the X's were the support for the MC would have relied solely on the firewall sheet metal, not really a very good idea.

You can see in my pics what I am talking about.

Ok, I got you, that definitely makes sense. :thumbsup: I definitely would not want to rely solely on the strength of the firewall. That is a great fix to the problem what you did making your own MC mounting plate!

Jeep On!