Rear axle leaf spring shifted on me while driving.

Their is a little wedge that goes into the leaf spring to keep it in place, when i made a left turn, it sheared it off. My axle on the pass side shifted aft, which droped my driveshaft to the ground on the forward side of the shaft. I removed the driveshaft, put her in 4H and drove her home, which was just around the block. I know have a extremeley cheap fix, but just no answers as to where to go to get that problem fixed, or if their is a kit out their to prevent this from ever happening again. In time it is getting a SYE kit and a custom drive shaft, but for now i just need some guidance as to any kits or suggestions. I would aprreciate it, rhodesj@lhd1.navy.mil, thanks to all. remember, were are the Last Of The Comanches.

I am not sure what you mean by "a little wedge", but there should just be a center pin that goes through the spring pack. The center pin will have a large, protruding head that fits in a hole in the spring perch to keep the spring centered on the axle. It sounds like the center pin has broken off and just needs to be replaced...not a big deal, you just need to get another center pin, remove the spring, put the new center pin in and bolt it all back up.

You will probably need new u-bolts as well. You will also need to be sure to secure the spring pack together wil some c-clamps before taking the u-bolts loose or the spring pack will pop apart. Not hat it's hard to reassemble, but...

sounds like you need a new degree shim and center pin for your leaf spring. first you need to find out what degrees the shim is on the other side so you can get the right one. then just bolt it all back together and you should be good to go.

i don't know why we can't just copy and paste pictures here...but make sure you have the clips on the springs also, #5 in this pic dakar_leaf_spring.jpg

Try highlighting the address and clicking on the IMG tag. :thumbsup:

It won't work with every image you see online though. Some websites will try to prevent hot-linking to cut down on their bandwidth usage.

i don't know why we can't just copy and paste pictures here...

You can't do that in any forums that I have ever seen. The picture must be hosted somewhere in order for it to show on the internet. Some of the larger forums will allow you to "attach" pictures so that they are hosted on the forum website itself, but that takes a lot of bandwidth and gets expensive.

i don't know why we can't just copy and paste pictures here...

You can't do that in any forums that I have ever seen. The picture must be hosted somewhere in order for it to show on the internet. Some of the larger forums will allow you to "attach" pictures so that they are hosted on the forum website itself, but that takes a lot of bandwidth and gets expensive.

i figured thats the case, one forum i use you can, and its nice. just go get a google image or whatever, copy and paste in a discussion. no jumpin through hoops to make it hosted or whatever.