XJ 8.25 ?

By 1994 I believe Chrysler had settled on shipping them all with 75W140 gear oil. I know that's what came in my wife's 2000 XJ.

Correction - According to the 1994 FSM, the standard gear lube was 75W90, and 75W140 synthetic with a trailer hitch. (My wife's has a hitch.)

By 1994 I believe Chrysler had settled on shipping them all with 75W140 gear oil. I know that's what came in my wife's 2000 XJ.

Correction - According to the 1994 FSM, the standard gear lube was 75W90, and 75W140 synthetic with a trailer hitch. (My wife's has a hitch.)

Would I be better off using the recommended 75W90 or using a synthetic 75W140? Does anybody have a pic of the rear gears with a limited slip? so I will be able to tell if it has it when I open the cover? if not, I will add the friction modifier to be safe.

Yes the 8.25" was available with a factory LSD (called a Track-Lok). Also for the record Trac-Lok is a limited slip clutch driven, True-Lok is a limited slip gear driven. From the factory on the XJ it came with a Track-Lok if it has the limited slip option.

Extra friction modifier should not be added if the oil already has it in it; as that can cause the gears to run hotter and the LSD to chatter. The exact viscosity of the GL-5 gear lube is not as important as it being rated GL-5 or GL-6. If you live in a colder climate, choose a lower viscosity like 70W-80, 75W-90, 90, etc. If you tow, wheel in very tough environments or it gets very hot, a higher viscosity like 80W-120, 80W-140 etc. is recommended.

Personally, I now believe in using a non-synthetic gear lube for my axles with recent revelations that the gears run cooler in a non-synthetic gear lube than the do in a synthetic gear lube. That's probably not a big deal if you don't wheel in tough conditions but if you do...

Some gear oils have the friction additive already in it, some do not. If it does not you'll need to add 4 oz. of friction modifier separately. Only way to tell is to read the bottle.

EDIT: Per your request here is a pic of an 8.25" Track-Loc in my wife's XJ.

100_2068.jpg

100_2069.jpg

100_2070.jpg

Yes the 8.25" was available with a factory LSD (called a Track-Lok). Also for the record Trac-Lok is a limited slip clutch driven, True-Lok is a limited slip gear driven. From the factory on the XJ it came with a Track-Lok if it has the limited slip option.

Extra friction modifier should not be added if the oil already has it in it; as that can cause the gears to run hotter and the LSD to chatter. The exact viscosity of the GL-5 gear lube is not as important as it being rated GL-5 or GL-6. If you live in a colder climate, choose a lower viscosity like 70W-80, 75W-90, 90, etc. If you tow, wheel in very tough environments or it gets very hot, a higher viscosity like 80W-120, 80W-140 etc. is recommended.

Personally, I now believe in using a non-synthetic gear lube for my axles with recent revelations that the gears run cooler in a non-synthetic gear lube than the do in a synthetic gear lube. That's probably not a big deal if you don't wheel in tough conditions but if you do...

Some gear oils have the friction additive already in it, some do not. If it does not you'll need to add 4 oz. of friction modifier separately. Only way to tell is to read the bottle.

EDIT: Per your request here is a pic of an 8.25" Track-Loc in my wife's XJ.

100_2068.jpg

100_2069.jpg

100_2070.jpg

Alert bogus info above!!!! :thwak: BSmeter.gif

The limited slip your 8.25 has that is shown above is an Auburn limited slip not a Trac-Loc. It is what Chrysler called a Sure-Grip, it is a cone type limited slip. It wasn't the stock limited slip a XJ has.

The gear drive limited slip you are talking about is a Tru-trac not a True-Loc

This is a picture of a Trac-Loc 8.25" limited slip that is the factory optional clutch type limited slip.

If you look close you can see the clutches behind the axle spider gears.

Syntetic gear lube has greater film strength at higher operating temperatures, cooler operating tempertures, reduced fluid friction and low-temperature application down to -50ºC provides significant advantages versus conventional mineral oil formulations. It reduces wear and spalling under the high speed, high torque and high horsepower conditions in competitive racing and high performance vehicles.

The standard gear lube was 75W90, and 75W140 synthetic gear lube is used with the trailer tow option. If has a factory limited slip 4 ounces of friction modifier is needed.

Limited slip chatter is caused by not enough friction additive, too much friction modifier will cause the limited slip to allow it to slip too easy spinning just one tire.

:fool:

Looks an awful lot like a D35 to me...

That's a 8.25 rearend. You can tell by the locktabs for the adjusters bolted to the bearing caps. If you look close you can see the start of the casting that hangs down below the cover.

Mopar calls it a 8.25 but it is really a 8.375 ring gear. They increased the gear size but still kept the same designation.

But I went and looked at the 8.25 diff cover and I see the full curvature of the bolt pattern.

My bad... :doh: :dunce:

You don't get the Dunce hat it belong to LEAD_NOT FOLLOW :dunce: right now. :thwak: BSmeter.gif

Or should I say FOLLOW_NOT_LEAD. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You made a tiny error compared to him... He pinned the BS meter... :laughin:

:cheers: