My jeep is killing waterpumps

The truck used to have a real loud annoying whining noise after it warmed up a bit. I narrowed the noise down to the waterpump and replaced it :D (my first real work on any vehicle, coming form jet skis and small motors) So I drove it around for a while and all was silent. Now the noise is back :fs1: and it's from the new waterpump. The whining is not quite as bad as before but if I keep driving it I know I will kill the bearings on this one too.

I am not sure as to what is causing this? I think that some pulleys might be bent somehow and causing the belt to get tight then loose then tight again over and over. Maybe some are bent and allowing for side to side play in the belt as well :hmm: Any ideas?

over tightening a belt can ruin a new waterpump quick or you just could've got a bad one.some reman's aren't as good as new ones.

I don't think that I over tightened the belt, and the pump is a new one from napa not a reman.

over tightening a belt can ruin a new waterpump quick or you just could've got a bad one.some reman's aren't as good as new ones.

I don't think that I over tightened the belt, and the pump is a new one from napa not a reman.

over my lifetime, owning an 89xj, and now my Mj, I have replaced maybe 8 waterpumps- 3 were bad right out of the box, all were new- not remanufactured. I drove/drive alot-

one area I found over the years of visiting different websites, was the failure to flush the system before replacing a pump- allowing crap to eat the seal/bearing in the pump itself. A new happy pump will readily pull every chunk of corrosion out of your radiator and engine....and sometimes I swear that new pump bearing and seal is a magnet for it.

too tight of a serpentine belt can kill a pump fairly quickly....followed by the torsion bearing- which squeals like a cat being cut up slowly in a meat grinder, tail first.

off center belts will kill a pump, but its fairly visible upon viewing- it should be centered, but I have run one rib off , for exactly the amount of time it took to throw the belt into little chunks.

whats really fun, it putting on a new one, and realizing its the wrong rotation...and its getting dark....an cold....and raining.

over my lifetime, owning an 89xj, and now my Mj, I have replaced maybe 8 waterpumps- 3 were bad right out of the box, all were new- not remanufactured. I drove/drive alot-

one area I found over the years of visiting different websites, was the failure to flush the system before replacing a pump- allowing crap to eat the seal/bearing in the pump itself. A new happy pump will readily pull every chunk of corrosion out of your radiator and engine....and sometimes I swear that new pump bearing and seal is a magnet for it.

too tight of a serpentine belt can kill a pump fairly quickly....followed by the torsion bearing- which squeals like a cat being cut up slowly in a meat grinder, tail first.

off center belts will kill a pump, but its fairly visible upon viewing- it should be centered, but I have run one rib off , for exactly the amount of time it took to throw the belt into little chunks.

whats really fun, it putting on a new one, and realizing its the wrong rotation...and its getting dark....an cold....and raining.

Well, great. I didn't flush the system because the coolant looked really good. Is there any possible way to flush it with the waterpump on? Or is the damage already done to the seal and I have to pull it and put another one on.

Which one is the torsion bearing?

I can see that the power steering pulley has a slight wobble to it maybe a 1/16" of side to side movement when the enigne is running, no play trying to move it by hand though.

i replaced the w/p in my 89 4.0 last year with a new napa pump. i pulled it out of the box and i didnt think the bearing felt right so i asked for another i could feel just for reference and sure enough it was defective. i put it in the other napa pump and havent had a problem yet. sometimes you get a new bad part