intake/exhaust

I know a 4.10 gear would be the most beneficial to acceleration on my 2.5L 1986, but are there any GOOD cold air intakes and exhaust systems for a 2.5L 1986 Comanche/Cherokee? I've looked on google, Quadratec and 4wheelparts and came across just about nothing, except this one that claims 21hp 36ft/lb torque @ 5300rpm for the low price of $400 lol. http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=5565&Nr=OR(AND(make:Jeep,year:1986),AND(universal:1))&Vi=1557+4294965185&y=1986&mk=Jeep

Thanks,

LCpl Monk

in my experience, there's not much to do to wake up that motor. for the money you're gonna spend, its not worth what you gain. imo if it doesn't have 4.10 gears, find gears/axles, and don't waste anymore money on that motor. i've had that motor, and its a work horse, and will last forever, but its never gonna make you happy coming off the line.

Yeah I wasn't expecting to get low 10's on the 1/4mi with that 2.5L but just wondering if getting intakes/exhaust systems would get a little extra power for the 33"s I'm planning on putting. If my D35 brake, I will get D44 4.10, but I'll just wait until its time for that. Thanks though.

LCpl Monk

4.56s will make you smile. :D Maybe even 4.88s jamminz.gif There is no amount of bolt-on 2.5L stuff that will make up for a lack of proper gearing. It's all a matter of leverage.

If you want to do something in the meantime, dumping the engine driven fan for an electric is supposed to be worthwhile. :thumbsup: And sometimes a rebuilt fuel injector can bring back lost life from the motor.

i have 31's on mine with 2.5 it is bored 40 over

30 inch glasspack no cat

a cone air cleaner up thru hood

3/55 gears

i have no prob. with mine

i can put it at 90 on flat hwy

offroads good rock crawls ok

will go 4/10's someday

so what i am saying is let it breath

33's get 4/10's :cheers:

so what i am saying is let it breath

:cheers:

Anytime you can get it to breath better,it helps.Even with a 4.0L ,gains can be modest with bolt-ons.So it's money vs. returns.Check out Summit Racing and Jegs websites for intake,headers,and exhaust.Do a tune-up with new parts.Oh,and dare I mention a Turbo, anyway...

carry on,Devil Dog

When doing the Power steering/ air conditioning conversion on my 2.5, I found that I had ordered the wrong PS resevior, so I went in to the parts dept and grabbed a resevior from a caravan, and realized that the place I needed to mount the res was where the airbox was. Ive had this cold air intake I took off of a late model Mazda 3 a couple years ago, sitting around, so i decided to see if I could make it work. I found that removing the hose part coming off the top of the TB that the cold air tube adapter fit right to it, so I cut it to length, made a support for it and have been running it now for a few weeks. I don't really think it made any difference in power, but it seems to be a little happier/peppier in general though so who knows. I also have 3:55's and will be going to 4:10 with my 4x4 conversion very soon. I can't wait to what kind of difference it will make!