1/2 Tank, Right Turn = Engine Cut-Out

This is for my XJ, so I apologize in advance.

I know some people here have or had XJ's, so I want to see if anyone can help me.

Recently when I am on a 1/2 tank or less, making a right turn over 10mph, the engine will cut out momentarily. I had the pump out, sock looks ok, external filter was just changed, hose inside the tank is new and tight, but 1/2 tank right turns cut the engine out, (one time it fully stalled) but if I have over a 1/2 tank it will not cut out.

Left turns are smooth no matter how much gas is in the tank...

This is for my XJ, so I apologize in advance.

I know some people here have or had XJ's, so I want to see if anyone can help me.

Recently when I am on a 1/2 tank or less, making a right turn over 10mph, the engine will cut out momentarily. I had the pump out, sock looks ok, external filter was just changed, hose inside the tank is new and tight, but 1/2 tank right turns cut the engine out, (one time it fully stalled) but if I have over a 1/2 tank it will not cut out.

Left turns are smooth no matter how much gas is in the tank...

My '94 XJ doesn't have that problem until about a 1/4 tank. Then it is on hard turns like 25mph rated ones at 50mph maybe drifting some coming out of the corner after the apex at full throttle. :yes:

At a 1/2 tank I'm good to go. Play time is in session. I'm sure glad the salt is washed off the road and the pavement temp is up some. Good to go. :chillin:

Thanks for your help.

It sounds like fuel slosh. I get it an low speeds below 1/8's of a tank. Did the tray the pump sits in inside the tank break loose or something. Mine has one. That would be my best guess.

Have seen this a couple of times, but it was always the hose from the sender to the pump and you said you already checked that. Is is a quick turn that does it, or a long slow one? If it is a quicker turn, it may not be fuel at all. Check for a harness rubbed through somewhere.

If I stop at a stop sign, then make a right on a 1/2 tank, it won't do it (slow turn) but if I am doing 40, slow to 25 to make a right, it will cut off. I still think its fuel, because if it was a harness, wouldnt it cut out whatever fuel level?

Along the same lines,I'm having a problem too.

Anything below a half tank or so,I make a right turn,

and cannot accelerate without the truck missing as if

it's running out of fuel.

Takes forever to get to cruising speed,smooths out

if not accelerating,and will not fix until I baby it to

the gas station and fill it up.

Then it's fine till I burn off half the tank.

I have no cliue where to even begin with that one.

:hijack: Sorry.

Along the same lines,I'm having a problem too.

Anything below a half tank or so,I make a right turn,

and cannot accelerate without the truck missing as if

it's running out of fuel.

Takes forever to get to cruising speed,smooths out

if not accelerating,and will not fix until I baby it to

the gas station and fill it up.

Then it's fine till I burn off half the tank.

I have no cliue where to even begin with that one.

:hijack: Sorry.

Thats not a hijack man, thats exactly my problem. Its puzzling the hell out of me.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.p ... tall+Turns

There are a few ideas in all of these threads. Hope that gets you somewhere. Don't overlook the CPS wiring issue, worth checking out.

• 3 weeks later...