New Comanche Owner

Hey hey I am so glad i found this site, I was floundering without information about a 86 MJ that I am pretty set on purchasing. Its got a 2.5 L and 4 manual tranny. I'm pretty much asking what experience anyone has and what tips you can offer or what I need to know about owning a commanche. I currently use a 95 xj for my DD, I'm fairely competent in XJ mechanics but Commanches are not my forte. I am planning on using this for my designated offroader but i want to keep it road leagal so i can go show it off once and a while haha.

From the doors forward, Comanches and Cherokees are identical, with a few minor exceptions. The year spread will make more of a difference.

For example, the engine bay of an MJ and XJ will be identical if they're the same year and options.

Front suspension for the XJ and MJ is the same, front clip is the same up to 97. Rear axles are the same, just different spring perch location and the shocks mount differently.

I'd suggest browsing through this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14213

jamminz.gif

Welcome to the fold. This is a great site with good folks. These trucks are basically XJs with a bed. There are some differences but this site will guide you. These are great little trucks worth saving. Welcome again. :cheers:

thanks yea thats the problem I've had with my XJs is they are great cuz i can keep stuff without gettin snow on it but i can't throw crap in the back and not worry about what its doing to the friggin carpet hahaha.

I live on a farm and have a few 350 chevys lying around how hard would it be to drop one of those in there? I know ive seen a couple MJs with one of those beasts.

thanks yea thats the problem I've had with my XJs is they are great cuz i can keep stuff without gettin snow on it but i can't throw crap in the back and not worry about what its doing to the friggin carpet hahaha.

I live on a farm and have a few 350 chevys lying around how hard would it be to drop one of those in there? I know ive seen a couple MJs with one of those beasts.

Advance adapters makes whatever you need to do a small block conversion in an XJ/MJ. It's a tight fit, and the problem once you get it in there will be cooling. I've seen a few and wheeled with one guy who had one, and overheating was the norm.

I guess if you have the engines it might make sense to try using one, but personally I wouldn't do it.

Be prepared to kiss the entire drivetrain goodbye. :yes:

haha yes that was my first thought when i heard of people doing that, I think my most likely route would be to drive the current engine and trans till it kicks the bucket and hopefully have spares by then haha.

Well, that might be a while then. :D If nothing else, the 2.4 is known for longevity if properly maintained. If bigger tires are in your future, I do recommend a swap to the 5speed version of the trans and then axles with 4.10 gears. The 2.5L+4speed only came with 3.55 gears. 2.5L+5speed = 4.10s and those axles can come from Jeeps other than MJs too.