Okay, Everyone knows that a BA 10/5 really sux, but . . .

I was having a discussion with a mechanic that's been working on Jeeps for >20 years, because we're talking about rebuilding my engine somewhere in the next two years.

I plan to build a stroker, and expressed concern about whether the BA 10/5 could handle the increased torque.

He said that in all his years, he's never seen one fail in normal use, i.e. unless it was abused in wheeling or had the clutch dropped REALLY badly.

This got me thinking . . . mine has almost 300K miles on it, so why, if it was such a POS, did it not break long before this?

Admittedly, I'll do something about the trans as part of the rebuild, and it doesn't make sense to rebuild the BA 10/5, but how many of you have actually had one break during normal usage?

Mine blew a hole out the side while cruising down the freeway. :dunno:

Regardless of the longevity of certain examples, the Peugeot is barely rated for the torque of a stock 4.0L. I wouldn't dare use it behind a stoker. Especially with all the effort of swapping in a new engine. Go with a 3550. :thumbsup:

Mine blew a hole out the side while cruising down the freeway. :dunno:

Regardless of the longevity of certain examples, the Peugeot is barely rated for the torque of a stock 4.0L. I wouldn't dare use it behind a stoker. Especially with all the effort of swapping in a new engine. Go with a 3550. :thumbsup:

That's my plan. But I'm just curious about the basis for the terrible rep that the BA 10/5 seems to have.

aside from all the failures? I see them like the Dana 35. There are plenty out there still functioning, but there are plenty more that kicked the bucket prematurely. I've killed both. On massive 30" tires. I don't trust either any further than I can throw them. As with everything in life, other people have had differing experiences and have differing opinions. I believe the consensus on the peugeot and the 35 is that they are both barely adequate for a stock rig, and Jeep could have and should have done better at the factory.