tailpipe and coolant bottle questions

1. is there really any difference between the tailpipe for the 7 foot bed and 6 foot bed, or is the pipe for the 7 foot bed just a foot longer at the tip? (the tailpipe for the 7 foot bed is half the price of the 6 foot one, so if I can just take a foot off the end of the longer one and reposition the hangers, if necessary, I can save some money, which will be needed for something else down the road.)

2. how much coolant should be in the bottle when the engine is not running, the bottle on the mj I now have is about 2/3 full when it is not running and there seems to be an awful lot of pressure in it when the engine gets hot, which bring me to...

3. should the cap on the coolant bottle have a way to release the extra pressure when it builds up, right now when it gets hot it starts to leak from the hose in the bottom and the cap

thanks

The short bed has a shorter wheelbase, so the tailpipe is shorter both in front of the axle and behind.

That pressure bottle is supposed to have pressure in it. It's part of the pressurized cooling system, it is NOT an "overflow" bottle like on the 91 and newer models. The cap IS the radiator (pressure) cap for the cooling system. DO NOT open it when the engine is warm or hot. It is properly filled if it is half full when cold. There's a post inside, beneath the cap, that's marked (notched) to show the correct fill level.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know about the wheelbase difference. I will look it up.

I do know it is a closed loop system but my concern is that it is leaking after only 20 minutes idle. Should I replace the bottle and cap or am I looking at a new rad? Steam and liquid come out of the top and liquid from the bottom not a lot but it leaks.

I found my answer to number 1

the LB is 6" longer in weelbase too, 119 instead of the SBs 113

It looks like I can cut 6 inches off each end and save 40 bucks I may have to move the hangers around but 40 bucks is a lot beer money

The new tailpipe for my SWB cost me $33 IIRC.

Would they pay me $7 to take one of the LWB pipes? :brows:

It looks like I can cut 6 inches off each end and save 40 bucks I may have to move the hangers around but 40 bucks is a lot beer money

Well......you can......but you need to re-weld the rear section of the tail pipe :hmm:

So there goes your beer money :(

Last time I bought a swb tail pipe, I think it was $42 shipped to my 10-20.

It seams that the swb tailpipe only fits one vehicle......the swb MJ.

The 7 foot tail pipe fits a couple other vehicles, that's why there's a price difference.

Well......you can......but you need to re-weld the rear section of the tail pipe :hmm:

So there goes your beer money :(

Last time I bought a swb tail pipe, I think it was $42 shipped to my 10-20.

It seams that the swb tailpipe only fits one vehicle......the swb MJ.

The 7 foot tail pipe fits a couple other vehicles, that's why there's a price difference.

Doesn't seem so easy now. Seeing as I only have a 10 permit for the plate I may be better off paying the extra and using that time to address other issues

7 foot pipe in toronto is 40, 6 foot pipe is 80 (after taxes) and that was cheapest after calling 3 places.

I do the major parts shopping through catalogs, online and have it shipped to niagara falls new york. Once everything arrives I take a saturday morning to pick it up and pay my taxes at the border.

I ordered the parts to complete my suspension lift. Shipped to the falls cost me 170 after exchange. Shipped to toronto would cost almost 300 after ups adds their extortion fee. And the border guard let me pass without paying tax this time. I made a jy stop on the way to get a console for the truck. Usually I order a lot more when I do the border thing.

Now that I'm done jacking my own thread I have a pressure problem with my coolant to worry about.

Yes, I know where the "mail box drop" is in the Falls :brows: If that's the one you use......

I think Rockauto will do the :Canadaflag: shipping, but not really sure on that one.

The pressure tank, like Pete and others posted, that's a e-bay item, and there are better, more expensive metal pressure tanks out there.

At worst, pick one up at a JY and you just might have solved the problem, plastic parts at the JY are cheep, there just junk to them......or next time your down this way, stop by and grab one I got laying around.........I know I got a couple good ones in the shop......or PM me you drop box, and I'll "send" you one :brows:

When you get it, do not overfill it. The coolant in the system expands when it gets hot. The tank is designed to allow the air in it to compress. If there's insufficient air space, it can't compress and the excess hot coolant has to go somewhere.

Quadratec (http://www.quadratec.com) has the cap and bottle for around $25. I posted a link to their listing about a week or ten days ago. Be sure to buy the cap and bottle together. Typically, the old cap doesn't seal on a new bottle, and a new cap won't seal on an old bottle.

thanks, but quadratec stopped shipping to canada by usps in the last few months, it is ups only now and by the time i get it i will end up paying close to $100 with all the added fees ups extorts from cross border customers, if I was doing a big order I would use quadratec and have it sent to the falls for me to pickup, but crossborder is no longer an option with them, very few companies will ship crossborder with anyone but ups now, which is a shame, even though fedx is a higher charge to ship, their customs fees are nowhere near as high as ups and I end up paying a lot less with them even though the initial shipping cost is a few dollars higher

I will be taking your advice and getting a new bottle and cap though, but I will find someone on ebay who ships by anything but ups

thanks again

That's what I was kind of saying :roll:

You didn't read between the lines :brows:

If you want.......I"ll send you a good Used one I got in the shop.

PM me your info, I can't get to the PO until Wednesday to get it out.......just pay me for the shipping, and were square.

That's what I was kind of saying :roll:

You didn't read between the lines :brows:

If you want.......I"ll send you a good Used one I got in the shop.

PM me your info, I can't get to the PO until Wednesday to get it out.......just pay me for the shipping, and were square.

d'oh... thanks for the offer, I did sort of skip over it, I found a guy on ebay who is shipping one to me via usps for just over $40 CDN, odds are pretty good that with a value less than $25 US they won't hassle me for any taxes/border fees

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find a mid-90's, mid-sized Mopar in the junkyards around you, they have a real radiator cap on the bottle and work really well. all you have to do is remove the OEM bottle and the bracket that it is mounted on, drill two holes in the firewall shelf and bolt in the new bottle.

It is a different shape but it fits right in.....