Interchanging radiators???

I'm tryin to find out what radiators are interchangable. I've got my '88 MJ and mine just sprang aleak. My question is that I know where a '87 V-6 4wd 5spd is sittin and I'm pretty sure it still has a radiator sittin in it. Anyways, what years/models(MJ/XJ/etc)/engines will have a radiator that interchanges. I know that there's ways to make it a more updated closed system, and I'm gonna look into it, but I'm really just curious about what radiators will work in my busted one's place lol.

-Cody

I'm tryin to find out what radiators are interchangable. I've got my '88 MJ and mine just sprang aleak. My question is that I know where a '87 V-6 4wd 5spd is sittin and I'm pretty sure it still has a radiator sittin in it. Anyways, what years/models(MJ/XJ/etc)/engines will have a radiator that interchanges. I know that there's ways to make it a more updated closed system, and I'm gonna look into it, but I'm really just curious about what radiators will work in my busted one's place lol.

-Cody

Any 87-01 4L radiator will work, if you get one from an open system make sure you get the radiator cap for it too.

-Cody

Any 87-01 4L radiator will work, if you get one from an open system make sure you get the radiator cap for it too.

:agree:

You can use the open system radiator in your truck, but if you have the electric cooling fan, you are goingto have to find a way to make it work as the later model open system radiators do not have the port for the temperture switch that activates that fan.

If you found an '87...it will not be a V-6, but rather a 4.0L I-6...in which case you would be good to go with that as it will be the same thing that you have. Anything '87 - '90 will be the same radiator and bolt right in without issue. :thumbsup:

Not sure how you got the info that it's an 87 V6. As noted, if it's a V6, it ain't a 1987, and if it's a 1987 it ain't a V6. But ...

Assuming that it really is an 87 with a 4.0L engine -- don't spend a lot of money for that radiator. Unless it has been replaced, it's 22 years old and probably won't last very long, and very likely won't cool very effective. You can get NEW MJ radiators for between $100 and $150. Radiators are one thing where buying from a junkyard probably doesn't make a lot of sense for a 20+ year old vehicle.

:agree:

It's not worth messing with an old radiator, that's one thing that just not worth the time and trouble to replace twice :roll:

Check out http://www.rockauto.com -

PROLIANCE Part # 432268 {#78} $87.79

VISTEON Part # 9178 $100.89

with AC

W/O AC

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU78 {#78} $106.79

There are some better 3 core radiator out there too.

And you can take you old one in for scrap and get $10-$15 for it :brows:

Yeah I've got a new one on the way from Advance Auto Parts right now for like $105 so it's not to bad. I coulda got it for alittle cheaper going through my work, but I didn't want to drive 30mins to save like 10-15 dollars. So yeah I'll get this fixed and then get back to figuring out the whole tranny issue. :fs1:

Like yall tolb me when I first signed up and said I had a Comanche, after fixing one problem......be ready for the next. :headpop: Oh well.

-Cody