brake question. (little update)

so the brakes on my 1990 XJ work fine, and the brakes on my 88 MJ don't work at all. i want to just do a simple swap, but I'm wondering about compatability. the XJ has abs...but I'm not sure about the MJ. what parts are compatible. i know the rotors shouldnt matter, but what about the calipers, or the master cylinder, or the brake lines? thanks!

not yet. thats the thing that i need to find out. my uncle is pretty savvy with brakes, and he has helped me out a little so far. I'm going to have him help me with the problem. i was thiunking of getting the brakes on the axles all set so when he helps me...they are ready to go.

all the parts on the axles should be a direct exchange.

The 90 used that wierdo electric hydraulic pump ABS system, I doubt that any of the brake hydraulics in the engine compartment are compatible. Maybe the proportioning valve, but none of the master/pump stuff is the same.

soooo, now the rear axle is off. there was no brake hardware on it except for the brake lines, (going to replace them) and the drum brake backing plates. the bolts holding on the backing plates were too rusted to get off by means of wrench and socket, so i ground them off, and hammered out the bolts. now the backing plates are off (going to get new ones anyways) and i need them completely off. how do i get them off? i think i need to pull the shafts. do the shafts just slide out? i gave them a slight pull and nothing happened. any help would be appreciated!! jamminz.gif

yep. Mine were stuck pretty good in an axle I got that was from an 86 and never been touched. If you don't have a slide hammer you can try putting a wheel on it backwards and using that to pull on th shaft.

Since mine was out of the truck I stuck the end of a crowbar into the ground and just pryed on it. Popped right off.

A lil tip for those who don't own a slide hammer, a rim works just as good, just push in, ant then pull out.. this is after you put a couple of lugnuts on first ;)

Also a good slide hammer is relatively inexpensive... they come in handy for lots of things as well, like unit bearings.. pulling dents :brows:

so now I'm hunting for a part. the dang backing plate....where do i get one? pepboys and autozone don't have them. the ones on my D44 are rusted through and will not work. where do i look?

As I said earlier, as far as I know any D44 will bolt up. BUT, there are different diameter drums for diff apps.

Comanches used a 10" I think...so as long as thats the same for a waggy those came off of....you should be good.

Throw him a message and give you the measurements and thicknesses compare to yours and find out that way.

CW

well i sent him a email about it but he didnt answer the message. so i bid. then he answered. they're off of a grand waggy and he said the plate is 12"...which is bad cause the plates on my d44 are only 11 inches. looks like ill have to re-list them on ebay. :cry:

EDIT:

I just found this...maybe it will fit after all. it says that the backing plate will fit cherokees up to 1991.

Be sure you're measuring the same dimension. I had an original Cherokee, but I don't remember what size drums it had. I do that that all XJ and MJ D44s had 10x2-1/4 drums. This is different from the early XJ and MJ d35s, which were 10x1-3/4 -- the backing plates DO NOT interchange. I already tried. Thought I was going to do cheap upgrade by scoring a set of used D44 drums to throw on the XJ. The rear flange of the drum bottoed out on the backing plate long before the inside surface of the center "hat" could make contact with the hub. End of experiment.

A long time ago a guy named Mark in AZ told me he used Crown Vic 10" brakes on his XJ -- but he used the backing plates and everything outborad from there.