Stroker or 4bt

I got a 4.0 block at my house that i can start building a 4.7L hesco stroker or i was thinking about how cool it would be to have a diesel. Ive been reading about people putting the cummins 4bt in cjs and wranglers. Theres even that yellow mj with the 4bt swap, that thing is a monster. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice with the swap or the pros and cons between the engines.

I know a stroker would be easier cuz i would just have to bolt it in. But i was planning on swapping to an NV3550 trans with a 4bt i would need to source a 4500 and that would require modifying the floor and i plan on getting some Dana 44's under my rig so i was just thinking i might as well throw a diesel in if i can source the engine. Any thoughts?

Hmm ive contemplated that. And they got some hop ups for those now too huh. Hmm maybe ill look into one of those. Thanks pete. LOL they got a CRD swap in an xj in my new diesel power magazine i just got, i completely over looked it. Keep the input coming guys.

ya a stroker is the cheapest. but i think those mopar underground guys swapped the CRD into a tj and were thinking of making it a kit at the dealers , i gotta do more research. Know anyone who has done it before?

I'm doing this swap now. Using the VM2.8 and Chrysler 545RFE and NP242 together is the smart way to go.

[

I'm doing this swap now. Using the VM2.8 and Chrysler 545RFE and NP242 together is the smart way to go.

So since your doing the swap hows it going? Any info to help. I was thinking the CRD and either an NV3550 or 4500(over automatics already) and just beef up my NP231 and get some dana 44's. How would you estimate the cost of the swap? Cost and time finding a 2.8 CRD is my main concern.

Ok i can't decide. well i figure ive already made plans and my dad threw the 4.0 in back in the 90's so why change it. i have to much time invested in my 4.0 and theres too much sentimental value to the truck to chop it up and make it a diesel. So I'm gonna go find me another comanche so i can tear it apart and have both. hope to see your mj done soon sir sam. :cheers:

[

So since your doing the swap hows it going? Any info to help. I was thinking the CRD and either an NV3550 or 4500(over automatics already) and just beef up my NP231 and get some dana 44's. How would you estimate the cost of the swap? Cost and time finding a 2.8 CRD is my main concern.

NV4500 is just plain stupid, sure is a strong trans, but when you can just boltup a NV3550 theres no reason to dick around with a 4500.

CRD's are actually fairly common for used engines these days. Finding a complete engine/EFI harness/ECU is getting to be the hard thing.....most parts recyclers just chop the harness to get the engine out.

And to date I have only seen one engine fail.

Electronics are not that bad, IMO if your going to goto the trouble to do the CRD swap you should swap over to a 97+ interior, it will make for a much cleaner install.

The nv4500 was just an idea, just if a 3550 couldnt handle the torque. Like i said I'm 2 far in the stroker direction with my current jeep. So i guess ill go have to buy another to put a diesel in to play around with, but that will be later, but might as well grab the info now so when the time comes i can do it. Hopefully yours will be far from done when i get around to that another comanche so i can ask you some pointers.

The nv4500 was just an idea, just if a 3550 couldnt handle the torque. Like i said I'm 2 far in the stroker direction with my current jeep. So i guess ill go have to buy another to put a diesel in to play around with, but that will be later, but might as well grab the info now so when the time comes i can do it. Hopefully yours will be far from done when i get around to that another comanche so i can ask you some pointers.

The NV3550 is sold behind the diesel in the rest of the world, the NV3550 is conservatively rated at 300ft-lbs of torque, the stock CRD puts out under 300. Even the more aggressive tunes out there will barely up your RW torque above 300 ft-lbs.

Sir Sam,

I REALLY want to hear more about this swap.

What year is the power train out of? What did it cost you for the core? How much of the Liberty did you get??

This seems like a really sharp solution. Please. Lots of Documentation and photographs.

John Jackson

Sir Sam,

I REALLY want to hear more about this swap.

What year is the power train out of? What did it cost you for the core? How much of the Liberty did you get??

This seems like a really sharp solution. Please. Lots of Documentation and photographs.

John Jackson

Please see this thread(I think most of your questions can be answered there):

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10092