91 SB Sportruck rebuild

*Update*

I've been offline for a while due to moving, a new job, baby, etc...Starting my restoration back up. I just ordered the internals (pistons, rings, bearings, etc...) for the block. Hopefully they arrive next week from rockauto. Block will go into machine shop sometime next week too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up my block and internals yesterday. Bearings, timing set, etc..are on order. Cam was reground for more power. Crank is .010 / .010 and block was bored .030 over. Only had enough time yesterday to get the block on the stand and clean all the threads. Hopefully have more time this weekend. Headliner will be next and carpet so I can put the bench back in.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Today I installed the crankshaft, cams, pistons and camshaft.

More parts on order, engine should be back inside truck in about two weeks.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Cylinder head is on hold. Would have turned it in with the rest to have machine but cost + new valetrain would have been close to $400 when I can buy a remanufactured one for $225. :nuts:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Project has been sitting idle due to work, life, kids, etc..Hasn't stopped me from buying parts though. :D Had a couple hours to work on the MJ, pulled the old cruddy sorry-@$$ looking headliner out and put new material down. 10.99 for the headliner spray and another 2.44 at Walmart for the material. Not bad for under $15 bucks and it turned out great. Sadly no pictures, kids broke our only digital camera.

Transmission, transfer case ready to go in and clutch parts on order. Drivetrain will be bolted up next week. :clapping:

Figured I'd throw batteries into the "dead" camera and give it one more shot. It works! Must have dried out finally from the water damage. Anyways, the headliner isn't too shabby for $2.44 :D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I installed most of the interior and did the gauge cluster swap. Thanks to club member Shane for the carpet! :thumbsup: Good quality carpet from ACC but did have to do quite a bit of trimming around the endge. Better to have excess than too little right? :yes: Interior is still rather dirty from sitting around for two years and I still need to wired up a new stereo and fix some wiring. Couldn't finish / test it as my battery is dead, will need to buy a new one.

Image Not Found

Today I installed the cylinder head I ordered from Clearwater. Did some minor electrical wiring here and there.

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't done much due to life and work but I did manage to rig up some cheap linkage for the transfer case. Donor linkage was about x4 too long (automatic or different model?) anyways only cost a few dollars a the local hardware store.

Image Not Found

Initially it was pretty stiff but once I sprayed some grease into the pivot points, it shifted perfectly.

• 3 months later...

Made some recent progress. Rebuild is approximately 95% complete. Still need to buy a stereo and battery and passenger side breaks need to be done. Exhaust parts on order with Rockauto, after which I can start the engine and break it in. Installed my power steering pump pressure hose just to realize it had a huge hole in it. After discovering I was missing a power steering pressure switch I decided to just cap it with bolt since I wasn't paying $60. As it turns out, nobody in town carries a M10x1.00 bolt. Kind of a weird combo I guess. Anyways, I tried the local junkyard which is only about a mile from my house. They had a switch that came out of a mid 90's Dakota truck with the 2.5L. $10

Image Not Found

"new" driveshaft from Driveline Service of Portland. New shaft was going to cost me around $400-450 and I didn't save my old 2wd shaft :wall: Anyways they had a used shaft out of a Corvette that was only 1" too long. Shortened, balanced, painted and new greasable joints for a bit over $130. :clapping:

Image Not Found

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a large chunk of the day wrenching and *almost* got her started. Did one last final inspection, put the key in the ignition, turned it........wurr wurr wurr wurr....nothing. I must have checked the timing chain at least 5 times before I bolted the cover on so I knew it wasn't that. Double checked TDC and distributor which was good. Did some more poking around and discovered my CPS was bad. Will have to wait until the stores open back up tomorrow.... :fs1:

Anyways, all I have left is too hook up the heater control cable, install front shocks and changed both front / rear diff fluid. :clapping: