Transmission/Transfercase Questions

Ok, went to Pull-a-Part today and found a '86 Comanche down there that's 4wd 5spd LB with the V-6 (I'm guessing a 2.8L). My question is will the transmission/transfercase/rear drive shaft swap over to my '88 4.0 I-6 5spd LB? The reason I'm wondering is b/c; A: the whole drivetrain is there B: I wanna do a 4wd swap in the future anyways and C: the tranny started wineing on the way back and it sounds like a imput bearing or throw out bearing. Oh yeah and the other thing, do I need the 4x4 rear drive shaft? I wasn't sure if there's any length difference in the two of them.

Thanks yall, Cody

NO. never.

there is no bellhousing to put that transmission on the 4.0, and even if there was, the 4.0 would eat through it within a matter of less than 500 miles.

don't let anyone tell you otherwise. maybe that's cocky, but I'm telling ya if they tell you otherwise, they're plane wrong.

Yup. You'll need to find the drivetrain found behind a 4.0L. :thumbsup: And if you're looking for a manual, I'd highly suggest sticking with the 89.5+ AX-15.

And yes, you'll need to either shorten your 2wd driveshaft or find one from a 4x4 MJ with the exact same drivetrain. :thumbsup:

Well crap, crap and more crap. I guess it's time to start saving my pennies, hope the tranny can hold out and an AX-15 falls into my lap......What's the best doner to pull the AX-15 from. I was doing some reading about the swap and how some are internal slave cylenders and some are external, and then some things to do with the crossmember being an issue. I'm just trying to know what I'm looking for as far as a doner Jeep goes.

-Cody

Better that you found out before you spent the money. :D

95+ have the external, but as long as you use a factory slave, the early ones are just fine. XJ/MJ are the easiest, but YJ/TJ can be adapted to work without much effort.

Ok, thats good info to hear, but are there any issues with the crossmember, and if so what is it? Somewhere I read that you have to move it and drill/tap new treads in the frame??? Is that for going from an auto or something? I know I keep asking questions, but like you said, it's better to know than to spend the money and still not be able to put it in.

-Cody

Ok I got another question (big surprise right lol), is the input shaft bearing on the AX 4/5 the same as the one on the BA 10/15? I know it's a dumb question, but when looking for the bearing I find them for the AX 4/5 and the AX 15 but not the BA 10/15. One the other hand I find three different input seals. I'm trying to figure it out b/c I really don't want to buy a full bearing/seal rebuild kit for it when I don't really need too. I know it's not the smartest route but I think I may just fix the problems in the BA 10/15 and save money to get the stuff for a AX 15 swap and do the tranny/transfer case/4x4 swap all at one time.

-Cody

...and an AX-15 falls into my lap...

umm cody that sounds like that hurt

a lot :rotf:

and the part about you "saving your pennies" :shake: you own a jeep man. every person here on CC can tell you that that aint gona happen :rotf: :fool:

...and an AX-15 falls into my lap...

umm cody that sounds like that hurt

a lot :rotf:

and the part about you "saving your pennies" :shake: you own a jeep man. every person here on CC can tell you that that aint gona happen :rotf: :fool:

It's not that bad, I had a T-56 fall into my lap.....well not really fall, it was more along the lines of tossed to me from my bosses shoulder to me when we pulled it from a WS6 Trans Am that was on the lift.....needless to say I wasn't ready for it and the floor and my butt broke my fall :fs1: .

-Cody

Ok, I know you said that with the driveshaft if I swap the AX-15 into it then I need one from the same drive train/bed setup? IE: My 2wd '88 MJ Long Bed that has a BA-10 I would need a driveshaft thats out of a '89.5 or newer MJ 2wd when I do the AX-15 swap? or can it just be from any 2wd Long Bed MJ? (like the one that's under the truck now) I found a few AX-15's near buy runnin anywhere from $200-$400 within like 40miles of me, and I'm not worried about going 4wd untill later, right now I just gotta get back and forth to work till I get a 2nd car/truck to drive.

-Cody

Ok, I know you said that with the driveshaft if I swap the AX-15 into it then I need one from the same drive train/bed setup? IE: My 2wd '88 MJ Long Bed that has a BA-10 I would need a driveshaft thats out of a '89.5 or newer MJ 2wd when I do the AX-15 swap? or can it just be from any 2wd Long Bed MJ? (like the one that's under the truck now) I found a few AX-15's near buy runnin anywhere from $200-$400 within like 40miles of me, and I'm not worried about going 4wd untill later, right now I just gotta get back and forth to work till I get a 2nd car/truck to drive.

-Cody

you must have one from a longbed MJ equipped with an ax15 2wd to get this done.

realize though, that if you buy a 4wd transmission, you have no way around the system but to at least put the t-case in and put it in 2wd. the 2wd and 4wd transmissions have different output housings and tailshafts, which require completely disassembling the trans to swap out. so if you're going to an ax15 now, you may as well get one in 4wd version with the t-case too.

and if you go that option, you will need a longbed MJ 4wd ax15 rear driveshaft.

also take into account that the other variable you must throw in is the rear axle...the shafts are also different lengths for these;

i.e. if you have 2wd ba10/5 with a dana 35, you need a 2wd ax15 with dana 35 rear driveshaft. likewise, you need to take this into account for the dana 44.