2.2 4cyl may be replacing the V8

I have the chance to get a 2002 S-10 for free from my grandfather. It runs beautiful but the slave cylinder went bad and he does not want to replace it. I have been lookin for a 4cyl to swap in but I have questions. This new motor is computer controlled and the current motor is completely primitive. How much work is involved in swapping a computer controlled motor into my truck. 1986 LWB originally had the 2.8v6. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have reasons for wanting to do this swap.

A lot of work. Splicing and fabbing and adapting and yelling. My brain hurts just thinking about it. Or maybe my brain hurts because you're contemplating yanking out a v8 instead of buying a new truck to work with for this project. :hmm: A 2.5L Jeep is dirt cheap these days. :thumbsup:

I was thinking yank all the wiring and make the computer think it is in a S-10. It came from the factory with a GM motor and I am pretty familiar with those so I would like to stay with the General. The ideal motor would be a hurricane 4cyl. I have never been completely happy with the V-8 and I would like to drive this truck long distances to go wheelin. I know I sound :nuts: and I probably am. It would be different though.

All I'm saying is, buy another one for this project. Or just buy a 2.5L truck to begin with and save yourself a lot of headache. First rule of engine swaps is: "just because the block is free, doesn't necessarily make it a good choice".

One more for the 2.2 being a not-so good choice. I hate to say it 'cause I'm a GM guy at heart, but there are many better choices if you want 4 cyl power... I'm tempted to steer ya toward a Ford SVO turbo 4 banger, now that would be different!

But yea, whatever floats your boat dude, that's what its all about! :thumbsup:

Yea... I wasn't going to say it. I say if you're gonna bother (and it will be a pain) you might as well go to something like a turbo Ford 2.3 or any other originally RWD-mounted four that's easy and cheap to get in the first place, has a good reputation for reliability etc., and has a big community of hot-rodders/tuners