4wd conversion

pug

The steering parts should be interchangeable. As are the control arms if they are in better shape than yours.

But the rear axle from that 98 XJ will need the leaf perches moved to the MJ spot.

Woops, keeping me honest, since he didn't specify front or rear axle and the topic was 4wd conversion I assumed he meant front.

But yes, if your going with a rear axle out of the same donor then you will need to weld spring perches on.

you'll need to use the hubs, rotors and calipers as a complete set from either axle (preferably the '99 as the hubs most likely will have alot fewer miles on them). Mixing and matching those parts from old axles to new doesn't work very well as the hubs were redesigned as well as the rotor hats.

Jeff

Have someone else move the steering back and forth while you watch everything up front from underneath. Out of 3 Jeeps I have dealt with personally, all three had an elongated (worn out) hole in the track bar bracket allowing the axle to shift sideways. New track bar does not solve it when the issue is with the bracket. But if the play is in the box, then I agree with replacing it.