Project Swamp Donkey

Hi I am new here names Jesse, this is my 89 mj:

EDIT: The name is deceiving she is not a swamp donkey it was the name my late best friend gave it when we got stuck in a swamp when it was 2wd.

Started out as a 2wd eliminator and of course I was young and d*mb and I swapped a d30 d35 combo in which I took off a donour truck I bought (88 pioneer 4x4).

I have Done many mods some bad some good all a learning exp.

As it sits the truck is home lifted...Frnt 6inch coils with 3 inch lathed spacers, adj trac, drop pit, sway bar drop, emu shocks, extended brk lines.

Rear....rebuilt springs ( wanting to do a custom repack) extended brk line, extended bppv arm, SOA conv. with home made perches and shims ( the first time i did this I didnt use a thick enough metal and i squashed them later on racing a precida).

Tires 31 x9x15 mud terrains.

The truck has been primed and painted several times this last one is a full body under coating (textured). turned out better then we thought it would and i can scrape away on anything.

The interior is all black, the seats are custom home upholstered, the headboard was redone but with a design inlaid with foam ( I did this myself and looking back on it two ppl are needed but it did work). The carpet was removed cond. and sprayed black, the interior doors and floorboards were treated and sealed then undercoated as well.

The engine was partially stripped, parts have been painted, HO intake/exh and throttle (ported), oh rewired the engine bay to clean it up, relocated the washer bottle, removed all air (except for pump OBA soon) and egr systems. In process of moving batt to the rear bed.

Will add more as I remember all. I will add pics as I figure out how...

as with all jeeps she is never quite done...

let me know what you think.

old engine bay

pics are the newest will try for some oldies and new engine bay pics.

Hi I am new here names Jesse, this is my 89 mj:

The interior is all black, the seats are custom home upholstered. . .

Jesse,

Welcome to the club :cheers: . Very nice work on the 89. Did you do the seats yourself? They look brand new - better than jamminz.gif

haha yes majority of it was by me. I can't take all credit my seats were dismantled and the foam all reconditioned curtousy of the gov. ( my mother is the head of the upholstry department for the jails here abouts so I have access to her vast knowledge, labour and work space). They turned out better then expected there are of course minor issues that in my opinion keep them from being spectacular but hey agian learning exp. youd be amazed what you and a little imagination can come up with. I actually have buckets from my donour truck dismantled and covered in snowmobile leather to be mounted in the rear as well.

Quesion for you all I have that FAKE..? rollbar for the jeep can it actually be tied into frame with a kit or make my own would be better? I have no issues fabing a custom one but hey if its there why not use it right.

Thank you good to be here I have surfed your forum many times never bothered to sign up. Figured I didnt have anything to contribute.

Some more insight into the jeep.... The jeep has had many faces first when i got her in high school she was destined as a street truck. We gathered many parts including everything to install a turbo setup (which never happened since I bought a supercharged car to get my speed fix).

I will get build sheet specs eventually but this truck was actually bought new here local and was used as a farm yard truck for a few years then sat for about 6-7 years before i bought it then it has sat in my garage/driveway for 3 years in peices and is now only being put back to a semi finished state.

More pics on the way....

old:

old:

not quite done:

not quite done:

my soon to be custom front emblem...the last part is Winnipeg (my city) and it will be centered underneath custom truck:

Tell me what you think all wires were soldered (the right way to the tees) and either removed completely to the connectors if unused or re run and tapped. All the fan relays asm is removed will be putting in dual slim elec fans on a custom temp relay and dual switches. The coil and relay have been moved to just above the firewall, the coil will be beside the relays on an aluminum mounting plate which needs to be polished. the map sensor mount has been polished but not put on in the pics.

now is that exterior done in bed liner? what kind and how'd you spray it? i have an 87 and the previous owner bedlined the whole truck. he rolled it on and did a horrible job. :fs1: it's too thick in some spots and so thin in others you can see the white paint. i plan on spraying it with bedliner this spring to take some of the texture away. it's so ruff in some spots that you don't want to rub up against it with your skin. yes, it's that bad. :wall:

i don't mind the bedliner as a finish on the whole truck, i think it's cool not to have to worry about scratching it. my wife is trying to talk me into spraying on the bedliner, then painting over it with the original white color. before anyone asks, yes, you can paint over the bedliner. it does stick very well but the liner needs to be prep'd first. me, i like the black. we'll see who wins. ;)

I used some spray on stuff from Canadian Tire. I'm sure it would be cheaper at a paint shop. but i Used a schultz gun to spray it on. worked great is paintable, the first time i did it i painted my lower frame rails red (ill look for a pic). it was all straight forward but I did completly sand prime and re sand the truck. 3 layers of primer, over kill but i wanted to do it right.

I used some spray on stuff from Canadian Tire. I'm sure it would be cheaper at a paint shop. but i Used a schultz gun to spray it on. worked great is paintable, the first time i did it i painted my lower frame rails red (ill look for a pic). it was all straight forward but I did completly sand prime and re sand the truck. 3 layers of primer, over kill but i wanted to do it right.

do you mean the spray stuff you used is a bedliner material? it looks like it could be rocker guard spray as well. just wondering which it is. :D

i did my YJ 2 years ago with a brush. wasnt happy with it at all! so i sprayed it agan last spring and i love it. fills in any little dings and dents. cost me around 200 once everything was said and done, and thats a couple of THICK coats.

i tried painting the fenderflares after and i found that the paint didnt stick very well to the rockguard.

I am looking to drop my oil pan tomorrow as there is a dent and i want to take apart my oil pump and clean it anyone here done it, anything i should watch for or.... do I drop the money just to replace it? as well gasket re usable or again just spend the extra cash?

I am looking to drop my oil pan tomorrow as there is a dent and i want to take apart my oil pump and clean it anyone here done it, anything i should watch for or.... do I drop the money just to replace it? as well gasket re usable or again just spend the extra cash?

Take the extra time to replace the rear main and front main seal's...even if there not leaking :doh: ..(at least you know there new)..

and might as well buy a high flowing oil pump while you have it torn down...

Sick Rig btw :thumbsup:

yeah I dropped the money for the seals and gaskets figured do it right the first time lol. but high flow oil pump? guess not a bad idea any specific brand choices or is one high flow just as good as the next? how reliable is the elec oil pressure gauge, as I have a mech one I can install with no issues.

As well the intake and head are port matched, same with the gasket, didn't think the throttle needed doing as the HO is an improvement over stock.

I have also decided to not do the battery relocation since I cleaned up all my wiring and made all sorts of room I think I will put the battery back in stock location, with a new mount tho.

And I have a new paint scheme coming do we have any services people on this forum?