Largest Tire...?

The rear of the MJ is diffferent from what I am used to and know, the XJ. What is the larges size tire you can fit in the rear of the MJ with out cutting? How big can you go with trimming while keeping factory flares?

Does anyone make aftermarket cut out flares for the MJ? I know XJs fit up front but what about out back?

With stock rims, 30x9.5s are the biggest with no contact. With stock rims and a 4wd MJ, 31x10.5 can be done with minor rubbing on the control arms (which has a couple solutions).

Bushwacker makes some flares.

Pete gave you the standard answer based on both ends. I would add that, based on personal experience, even 30x9.50s will probably rub the lower control arms. The usual consensus is that the largest tire that's virtually guaranteed to not rub is a 235/75-15.

However, your question specified rear, and the MJ has a larger rear wheel arch than the XJ. In terms of tire diameter, you can easily run 31x10.50s with no problems and no cutting, and you might be able to get away with 32s or even 33s. Except ...

Because of the different construction at the back of the MJ, the rear wheels and tires sit closer to the inner wall of the wheel well. Running 31x10.50s on factory rims, after a wheeling expedition I would always find rubber marks on the inside sirface of the wheel well where the shoulder of the tire rubbed when the axle got "articulated." Anything wider than a 10.50 would be essentially an interference fit ... and would also be running perilously close to the leaf spring. If you run spacers or rims with less backspacing, that will push the tires out to possibly alleviate the shoulder rubbing the sheet metal, but then you have to worry about the tread clearing the flares. I never tried aftermarket rims or tires larger than 31x10.50 so I am not qualified to address how much trimming might be necessary once you get away from factory rims.

I run 235/75R15 tires and even with those I rubbed the inner fender off road (with stock suspension). A 4.5" lift did not change that, and actually made it a bit worse, as it now rubbed the inside of the frame below the fenders under articulation, and the frame sits 1/2" or so closer to the tire yet. I added 1.25" spacers and under full articulation, limited by my shocks, I still have 1/8" between the tire and the inside fender wall, and easily stuff it inside the fender. Wider tires would need less backspacing, and with the correct amount might still stuff under articulation. But then, if the truck goes straight down from carrying a load it would hit the flares. Even mine might, I'm not sure without going out to look at it. But at 4.5" lift, if both my rear tires are up that far, I'm severely overloading it.

Disclaimer:

Not that I have never overloaded it in the past, pretty much sitting on the stops and breaking both (at that time recently replaced) stock springs. I am being a bit nicer to my new lift springs, though.

I'm familary with XJs and the tire clearance's upfront. I know what I can clear, what has to be massaged, and what back spacing is needed up there. As for load in the bed, most I will have back there is a couple of bags and 2 sport bikes (so maybe 1000lbs).

I have a guy I work with that is goign to be lifting his 96 full size bronco and is going to sell me his tires and rims cheap. They are BGF ATs 31.10.50 on American Racing rims (I'll check the back spacign when he pulls them off).

Most of what I run is just mud... I was hoping I could put these on with some minor massaging (and maybe a thin cheap spacer) till I can pic together the lift I want (then go with 33s).

You could squeeze the 31's in there, but they are not going to have any room for movement. If you put 1000lbs in the bed...you won't be able to drive it most likely. The Bronco wheels are not going to work either unless you plan to use adapters that you didn't mention ;) . Without lift I would not try going any bigger than the 235's...

You could squeeze the 31's in there, but they are not going to have any room for movement. If you put 1000lbs in the bed...you won't be able to drive it most likely. The Bronco wheels are not going to work either unless you plan to use adapters that you didn't mention ;) . Without lift I would not try going any bigger than the 235's...

Oh i didnt mean that I was goign to load the bikes in right now. Most i'll be putting back there right now till I get the lift is a couple of bags (maybe 200lbs)