What is this bushing or joint? Also, how do I disassemble?

There is not much left of it, whatever it is. The bar comes from the far hub assemble and looks somethat like a "?" on its side or a shepherd's crook.

I don't see how to disassemble this joint to replace the bushing, either. Any help there?

I have a TON of slop in that junction, and I am now 90% sure that that is the cause of my crappy steering. Everything else seems tight.

Thats the track bar. Reach up there and there is a nut with a cotter pin in it. Remove the cotter pin, unbolt the nut, and then get a pickle fork, or ball joint separator, and hammer the crap out of it until it breaks free. Those joints are not replaceable, you have to replace the entire trackbar if you have tons of slop.

Thats the track bar. Reach up there and there is a nut with a cotter pin in it. Remove the cotter pin, unbolt the nut, and then get a pickle fork, or ball joint separator, and hammer the crap out of it until it breaks free. Those joints are not replaceable, you have to replace the entire trackbar if you have tons of slop.

Who sells a decent one? I cannot replace a trackbar bushing? Rockauto lists them as a seperate part...

It depends on if your truck is lifted or not, if you want a heavy duty one, what your plans are for the truck, etc... The part you took a picture of is the ball joint side which is not replaceable, it is built into the track bar.

Auto Zone sells factory replacements for less than $40. That's brand new with a Lifetime Warranty. And on the other extreme, Rubicon Express makes a nice heavy duty adjustable one for about $160. Its up to you..

get one from autozone if you don't have a lift on the jeep

they are like $40

It depends on if your truck is lifted or not, if you want a heavy duty one, what your plans are for the truck, etc... The part you took a picture of is the ball joint side which is not replaceable, it is built into the track bar.

Auto Zone sells factory replacements for less than $40. That's brand new with a Lifetime Warranty. And on the other extreme, Rubicon Express makes a nice heavy duty adjustable one for about $160. Its up to you..

I will be lifting (ZJ V8 coils, only, up front) in the next couple of weeks.

The truck will see only occasional duty in the near future, and is not my daily driver. It will not be a trail rig, but I will drive it alot on weekends, mostly just around town.

I can almost guarantee the joint is fine. The slop is most likely from an elongated hole in the bracket. Best bet would be to get a junk yard trackbar and bracket without slop at the joint together. Don't need to look for a Comanche as Cherokees are the same.

I have the same problem. very loose steering and if you pull that cotter pin and tighten that nut in the bracket it will be 100x better. But if the hole in the bracket is elongated (like mine) it will loosen up again. Also, if you don't have a pickle fork, after you remove the cotter pin and nut turn the steering wheel back and forth and the track bar should pop out of the bracket. Thats how I got mine out.

ok......

The bushing listed on Rock is probably for the axle end. You might get away with tightening it up on the frame end. Mine on my truck was lose, but when I tried to tighten it it started spinning at the frame end.. It turned into a big PITA to get that POS off....

I can almost guarantee the joint is fine. The slop is most likely from an elongated hole in the bracket. Best bet would be to get a junk yard trackbar and bracket without slop at the joint together. Don't need to look for a Comanche as Cherokees are the same.

Now that I think about it, this is probably true. I called the dealership (just to check) and they want $270 for just the bracket.

For that much, I can get a new trackbar AND HD bracket.

I have the same problem. very loose steering and if you pull that cotter pin and tighten that nut in the bracket it will be 100x better. But if the hole in the bracket is elongated (like mine) it will loosen up again. Also, if you don't have a pickle fork, after you remove the cotter pin and nut turn the steering wheel back and forth and the track bar should pop out of the bracket. Thats how I got mine out.

Is there a way to drill it out and to put in a new tapered insert in place of the elongated hole? I don't mint buying a new trackbar ($60-80, from what I see) and doing that, but I cannot find a non-OEM bracket unless I step up to something a lot more expensive.

Is there an insert that I can buy and press into the frame bracket?

If not, it looks like I will tighten it down for now and just hope that it holds until I get a better setup or until I can get to a JY to pull a set from a newer XJ/MJ.

You can get the frame end bracket from a junkyard for around $25 and it is only 4 bolts to remove and swap it in. There is nothing you can press into the hole. I need to replace mine but since i should be ordering my lift I am just going to wait and get an HD bracket with the new trac bar. I am looking at RE or TNT

I just got off of the phone with quadratec and they told me that the bracket below would be a bolt-in factory replacement.

They recommended replacing the track-bar at the same time. Seems like a good idea.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16301_4465.htm

I just don't see how it would work, if the picture is accurate. I called and they said it was the right one, however. :dunno:

I just got off of the phone with quadratec and they told me that the bracket below would be a bolt-in factory replacement.

They recommended replacing the track-bar at the same time. Seems like a good idea.

I just don't see how it would work, if the picture is accurate. I called and they said it was the right one, however. :dunno:

If that picture is what they are selling...it is not what you are wanting.

I refuse to buy from Q-tec as I found them to be less than honest and willing to try to screw me out of almost $1200. For the last 8 years now I have warned people to stay away from them and I will never buy (or attempt to) from them again :shake: .

Are you sure you even need a bracket? That track bar is definitely screwed from what I see in the pics.

RE9989 isn't that bracket and won't work. That bracket (the RE one) is for the axle side.

If that picture is what they are selling...it is not what you are wanting.

After looking at other brackets (such as drop brackets for aftermarket bars), I agree- there is no way that the part is the right one.

Are you sure you even need a bracket? That track bar is definitely screwed from what I see in the pics.

I am not positive, but I know that there is a TON of side-shift when the steering wheel is moved from side-to-side. I assume that the post on page one about the elongation of the hole is accurate, as this has been loose and has been getting worse, indicating that it is quite possible that the initial motion has caused a worsening of the condition due to warping of the stock hole in the bracket.

I won't know for sure until I pull it apart, but once I do that, I don't want to install a new bar in the ragged old hole, or vice versa.

My steering is very loose because of the bad bracket. There is alot of play to one side in my steering wheel. I have to constantly keep moving the wheel back and forth to keep the truck straight. Is this the same problem you have? When I retightened the bolt it felt like a new truck but has since loosened up again.

My steering is very loose because of the bad bracket. There is alot of play to one side in my steering wheel. I have to constantly keep moving the wheel back and forth to keep the truck straight. Is this the same problem you have? When I retightened the bolt it felt like a new truck but has since loosened up again.

Those are my symptoms, 100%.