I need some help

My MJ seems to have no power...so i figure I'm just going to rebuild my carburetor and see if that helps. I just did an oil change and i put a bottle of Restore in there in hopes of regaining lost compression. The truck just doesn't have any oomph if you know what i mean. i had to replace the transmission in it and i had to put a 4 spd instead of 5 spd. all of my emissions stuff was shot so one of the guys at work (valvoline brand new store) just started to crimp off the pipes. I don't want like a million horses but i just want it to get back some of its Mojo.... I really need some help in any form.... any and all help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Nick Of The Gas

NOTG

what engine?

you're talking about the 2.8 liter I'm betting. in that case, you're going to go through it's life living with no power.

the emissions needs to be removed properly...crimping doesn't do it. re-routing and plugging the vac. hoses does

What emissions are you crimping off? And why is your post about a carb in the classifieds locked? Your truck has, IMO, the worst carb ever invented and the biggest reason the 2.8 is such a slug. I wouldn't waste money on another one. I bet you could find an adapter to install something else on there. How many miles are on it? They used that engine in all sorts of GM products and you can use a carb off one of those. I used a carb off of a 2.8 Citation on my 85 XJ way back when. Chances are you're secondaries are not opening up all the way, if at all, or the choke isn't coming off all the way. Good luck

as aemsee said, you can find another intake and carb for it...

edelbrock makes a 2bbl and 4bbl intake for it, I prefer the 4bbl as you can go with a 390cfm holley carb then and get quite a bit more power.

then if you ever choose, you can swap your 2.8 block out directly for the 3.4 camaro blok and not have to do anything other than add an electric fuel pump capale of supplying roughly 7psi to the motor.

yes it is the 2.8...so you are saying i can swap a 3.4 from a camaro in and it will direct bolt in?? is the 3.4 carb?? will the same transmission work??? OK i am crimping the pipes coming off of the headers...the only reason i am doing that is because the stuff on top of the pipes had holes in it so it was leaking bad...205 on the tires, no lift (yet hehehe) the PO half a$# installed a cat back exhaust...i had been reading about swaping in a GM 4.3L??? is that hard??? i don't know why my classified is locked sorry

yes it is the 2.8...so you are saying i can swap a 3.4 from a camaro in and it will direct bolt in?? is the 3.4 carb?? will the same transmission work??? OK i am crimping the pipes coming off of the headers...the only reason i am doing that is because the stuff on top of the pipes had holes in it so it was leaking bad...205 on the tires, no lift (yet hehehe) the PO half a$# installed a cat back exhaust...i had been reading about swaping in a GM 4.3L??? is that hard??? i don't know why my classified is locked sorry

the gm 4.3 is a wasted swap and not compatible with jeep transmissions...thus increasing the shear amount of work you need to do.

the gm 3.4 liter is not a direct bolt-in, but it is the same block as the 2.8.

you need to swap the oil pan (and I believe the timing cover as well) from the 2.8 liter to the 3.4 liter block, swap over the motor mounts, and exhaust manifolds.

it is fuel injected, and the wiring is fairly simple. just get all engine bay wiring and computer from the camaro, and I could walk you through it. then you'd need a 45psi electric fuel pump to make it run right. I suggest going this direction.

the other direction you can go with the 3.4 liter is to swap EVERYTHING from the 2.8 block over to the 3.4 liter, except for the intake manifolds, and get the aforementioned edelbrock intake and holley carb. this is more money than leaving the 3.4 liter fuel injected, but simpler if you don't like wiring.

this is NOT an option (even though it is)....swapping EVERYTHING from the 2.8 to the 3.4 block then bolting it in. bad idea, you choke the power from the 3.4 just like the carb does on the 2.8, and net ZERO gain.

Interesting :idea: So, me being another owner of the delightfully smooth, compact, sexy, super powerful and torquey GM 2.8L V6 I could bolt on a new carb, free up the the flow on the exhaust system and it would release a few more horses? I like the sound of that! jamminz.gif Any pointers folks :brows: Would it really make enough difference to be worth the outlay of cash on a new carb and exhaust silencer?