Cylinder Head Question

I was replacing the timing components and noticed that i had a bad lifter which i replace. Then i decided to go ahead have the head worked due to the mileage (2.5l/225,xxx miles). When i took it to the shop they found a crack in the head.

Just wondering if anyone thinks this could be fixed. Couple of people said that it may be able to be used again or should i just shell out the money for a reman head. I found one for about $200 at a local shop here in ATL.

it's common for 2.5 and 4.0 heads to crack there.

Yeah the guys i got the new head from showed me two other heads with cracks in the same location. :???:

Picked up the head today and now to put things back together.

Can the head bolts be used again or do i need to just replace them? :help:

BTW http://www.alliedmotorparts.com in only deal with heads and have some great prices and good people.

Quoting from the FSM:

"CAUTION: Cylinder head bolts should be reused only once. Replace the head bolts if they were used before or if they have a paint dab on the top of the bolt."

Thanks i couldn't find that anywhere. :cheers:

Just because there is no paint doesn't mean it safe...someone may have just forgot to do it. It is always recommended that you use new head bolts to be sure of a good hold. Definitely not a job you want to do twice because of trying to save $30 - $40 ;) .

Just because there is no paint doesn't mean it safe...someone may have just forgot to do it. It is always recommended that you use new head bolts to be sure of a good hold. Definitely not a job you want to do twice because of trying to save $30 - $40 ;) .

Yeah $30 to $40 to protect $200 is a no brainer i guess. :doh: