Turbo Comanche 2.5 Questions

I am wondering if anyone has seen any good posts about installing a turbo on a 2.5. I am really wanting to attempt this but I need someone who has experience and a positive attitude about completing this task. I realize there will be doubters but lets see what we can get out of these 4 bangers. I think it would be a very benificial addition to those of us who want to keep the 4 banger(milage) . Thanks

You know I have a kit that was built in the late 80's for a SBC that I seriously thought about adapting on to my 4.0 or well a freshly rebuilt 4.0.I would say go for it,I'll do some research and see what kind of info I can find for you.I have a friend thats big into turbocharged imports and I'm sure that he can provide some good knowledge.

At a minimal boost of only about 5 psi, I don't think the trans. will have a problem keeping up. Also keep in mind that the turbo will only be to boost the power slightly and the fuel milage will from what I have researched increase only slightly. I don't plan on running an insane amount of boost just a small amount at first and work on it from there. If the trans is that week it needs replaced anyway right? ;) I would like to get an idea if I will need to do anything as far as fuel management and what turbos are the most readily available

I’m planning on doing a remote mount on mine. Ive don’t tons of research. There are a few guys that have turboed the 2.5L with a simple fmu and inline pump, gauges, turbo and so on. I’ll be turboing mine this summer. Its not as complicated as its put out to be. Plus your like me I'm only looking for a few psi. We’re not building a supra! So you can use cheaper parts, fmu’s, pumps, bov, turbo, wastegate, ext…. Good luck man! image_209027.gif

o yeah, you won't need to get into all that megasqirt for a few psi!! :thumbsup:

Breeze1 how many psi can I go up to using the factory fuel system. By the way what are fmu’s, pumps, bov,I assume the first is the fuel management system. How much if I go over what the factory fuel system delivers would be the first stage fuel mgmt. sys cost entry level , lets call this a stage one :dunno: :brows: is there a good place that breaks down a turbo setup for a beginner like myself.

Breeze1 how many psi can I go up to using the factory fuel system. NONE!!!

Not being able to do any modifications to your factory system means no boost, no larger injectors. That’s why you use an FMU. They build up your fuel pressure with out your computer knowing it. Its basically tricks your computer, and it doesn’t know its there. You will have to run a larger fuel pump, to compensate. But no need for injectors, because your jeep would run very rich at idle. With the fmu you will get more lbs out of your injectors than they are rated at. And that’s fine. I would only run low psi at first. You probably won't be able to exceed 5 psi before you get detonation. Then you would have to get a timing retarder then you may be able to squeeze out a few more psi, maybe 3..??? theres only one way to find out for sure. The main thing is watch your air/fuel ratio!!!! I know 5 psi doesn’t seem like a lot but 1 psi = some where around 10hp (depending). That’s real power not some cold air intake gives you 30hp junk!! Keep researching, you can't research it enough… :smart:

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f8/cherokee-budget-turbo-build-thread-431/

Thats a 4.0 but same kinda concept. It is a 95 though which means MPI not TBI so you would need to account for that but i assume you are going to use a Newer Motor with MPI for this? He also has a dyno thread from the XJ with some heat problems with intake air. You can search there for more info. Or get a avenger supercharger $4000 and a claim of 180+ horsies http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/?????

Cole

I just recently found an article in JP mag. about installing a turbo. The companys name is 505 Performance at www.505performance.com they were very helpful and have all the parts that Ill need as I can get them. They have complete kits or you can order parts separately. The guy that I talked to said that I should be able to get around +90 HP more with the turbo. I am waiting for the dealership to call back to see if the AX5 will stand up to the power.

An AX5 is barely able to handle the power of a stock 2.5L so there is no way that it will be able to take another 90 HP unless you put a turbo on and then drive like a granny...and I am sure that's not going to happen ;) .

I am shocked that the dealership would have to call you back about that. You must have inquired with a salesman or something as anyone in parts or service should be able to give the quick...hell no...to that one.

the 2.5 would be good for turbo use, if many people didn't know or forgot, chrysler was turboing cars back in the 80's and 90's so there is a lot of info available on that stuff, and they can make great power.

now about the ax5, run it till it breaks then replace it with an ax15 advance adapters makes the conversion bellhousing i am sure its not cheap but you geat a way better trans.

here is a write up on a yj i know i have posted here before

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread ... t=turbo+yj

Nice. So I'm not the only one who's been thinking about this.

I had a Shelby Z Daytona, it had the 2.2 turbo, and I messed around with that for a while so I've got SOMEWHAT of an idea what i'm doing...

My brother has a pair of turbos off his Stealth I could snag, or a friend of mine offered me one he's got in his garage too. I've got intercoolers kicking around my garage, a welder, and enough hook-up's at various garages / dealers / exhaust shops that I should be able to figure something out for pretty cheap.

I'm almost more concerned about swapping to a newer intake/fuel injection setup cause I know my throttle body is already in need of a GOOD cleaning or replacement, as the fuel doesnt spray, it dribbles. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and I'll be sure to post any info I find or anything I end up doing!