Can I use R-134a

FYI: I just bought a 90 Comanche from my cousin, 4.0L 5 speed 90k miles. So far I like the truck, it has good manners on the street and great in the snow. Feels a lot like my old Wrangler.

My question is can I use R-134a refrigerant or do I need to change the entire system out to have A/C?

I understand that I will have to recycle the R-12, it's the right thing to do. After that I would like to use a R-134a conversion kit and top it off.

Has any one done this?

Does it work or do I need to go deeper in my wallet to make cold air.?

Thanks

Mark

AKA Skibumps

FYI: I just bought a 90 Comanche from my cousin, 4.0L 5 speed 90k miles. So far I like the truck, it has good manners on the street and great in the snow. Feels a lot like my old Wrangler.

My question is can I use R-134a refrigerant or do I need to change the entire system out to have A/C?

I understand that I will have to recycle the R-12, it's the right thing to do. After that I would like to use a R-134a conversion kit and top it off.

Has any one done this?

Does it work or do I need to go deeper in my wallet to make cold air.?

Thanks

Mark

AKA Skibumps

I have done it multiple times, worked great every time. I used to work at an Advance in Raleigh and in the summer people would walk strait out to the parking lot and install right there. Some have had problems though.

done the cheapo kit on many vehicles without a problem. the key is to make sure your system is dry before changing. use a can with oil when you charge it. my mj will get the switch this summer. i have never had a problem with it at all.

Been thinking of going this route myself.

Freeze 12

Uses the same oil as R12 did and is compatible with R12 systems. The kits can be found on ebay for cheap.

:cheers:

Theres nothing special about freeze 12, its r134a with a few other gasses mixed in. IMO just use r134a.

To the OP, if the AC doesn't work now, then having the r12 evacuated and refilling with r134a won't fix it, something else is wrong, heck you might even be able to fix it and not have to charge it.

Also, if you have the system discharged of r12 you will also need to have someone pull a vacumm on the system before you can refill it with r134a.

I changed mine over to 134, but you can not just put it in. As Sir Sam said...fix the leak first, then you have to do the conversion kit that usually runs about $20 so you have the correct connections for the 134 system to attach to. After that is done, you will need to have the system vacuumed and charged by someone with the proper equipment. Some cooling efficiency is lost going to 134, but a good AC guy can get it to work pretty good with a little tweeking of the amount of freon used. We actually had to reduce the amount of freon in mine to below the recommended level to get it to cool decently with 134... :cheers:

Also, If you try using the cans of 134a from the parts store, be sure to tell the shop about it when you go to get it done right. Most of those little cans contain sealant as well as oil and dye. If the sealant, which is an epoxy that reacts with moisture, gets pulled in to a recovery machine it can easily damage the equipment.

Thanks for all the replies!

I don’t think I have any leaks in the system. The truck sat for 3 years because the previous owner did not take it in for an emissions test. Yet the R-12 was still in it and under presser, as I understand. My cousin (Ed) went the Freeze 12 route and while it helped it is not cooling as well as it should. He told me to “just add another can of Freeze 12” to top it off.

I would like to go with the R-134a because it is easy to get and you don’t need a license or certification to use it as you do with R-12. I have not found Freeze 12 to be as available as R-134a and R-134a is what is currently used in most cars today.

It seems to me that if I stay with Freeze 12 it is more of a bandaid than as solution at this point. If my mechanic captures the R-12 and gives a look for leaks or other problems for a reasonable price, I will make the switch.

Thanks again :bowdown:

Skibumps

I don’t think I have any leaks in the system. The truck sat for 3 years because the previous owner did not take it in for an emissions test. Yet the R-12 was still in it and under presser, as I understand. My cousin (Ed) went the Freeze 12 route and while it helped it is not cooling as well as it should. He told me to “just add another can of Freeze 12” to top it off.

I would like to go with the R-134a because it is easy to get and you don’t need a license or certification to use it as you do with R-12. I have not found Freeze 12 to be as available as R-134a and R-134a is what is currently used in most cars today.

It seems to me that if I stay with Freeze 12 it is more of a bandaid than as solution at this point. If my mechanic captures the R-12 and gives a look for leaks or other problems for a reasonable price, I will make the switch.

Skibumps

Ok but once again, if the system is charged and you don't have working AC then something else is wrong.

Now, you haven't explicitly stated this, but DOES YOUR AC WORK NOW? If it does, don't mess around with r12. Just use the vehicle, if its working now theres a better chance you will sell the Jeep before the R12 system needs work.

If your ac doesn't work and it is charged then something else is wrong, it could be something easy that wouldn't require the system to be evacuated to fix it.

Start with a systematic approach to fixing it, instead of jumping the gun right to a conversion.

Skibumps

Unless you have a pressure guage hooked up just don't "add another can of Freeze 12 to top it off". Over pressure can damage the AC components. Freeze 12 and 134 will not cool as well as r12 on older systems because it requires higher pressure. That is why even on some newer vehicles the ac is not as cold at idle as it is when your going down the road making higher rpms. Also, it should take less of the two than R12 because it is lighter. If you are going to have it evac'd, most shops will not do it if they know something other than R12 is in the system as it will contaminate their recovery equipment. Only reason I thought about using Freeze 12 was that a complete kit with dye, sealant, gauge, adapters and gas was about $65. I wouldn't have to change anything other than the nozzles to do it. Was going to use it on the 86 because it couldn't do any worst than it is already. 134's oil is not compatible with the r12 oil or o-rings. It will cause slug build up in the system and will eat away at the o-rings. Now the 88 will get the full conversion since the system was open during the build. New o-rings, the components have been flushed, and a new filter/dryer. I'm no expert on this by any means so someone smack me down if I'm wrong.

Skibumps

Unless you have a pressure guage hooked up just don't "add another can of Freeze 12 to top it off". Over pressure can damage the AC components. Freeze 12 and 134 will not cool as well as r12 on older systems because it requires higher pressure. That is why even on some newer vehicles the ac is not as cold at idle as it is when your going down the road making higher rpms. Also, it should take less of the two than R12 because it is lighter. If you are going to have it evac'd, most shops will not do it if they know something other than R12 is in the system as it will contaminate their recovery equipment. Only reason I thought about using Freeze 12 was that a complete kit with dye, sealant, gauge, adapters and gas was about $65. I wouldn't have to change anything other than the nozzles to do it. Was going to use it on the 86 because it couldn't do any worst than it is already. 134's oil is not compatible with the r12 oil or o-rings. It will cause slug build up in the system and will eat away at the o-rings. Now the 88 will get the full conversion since the system was open during the build. New o-rings, the components have been flushed, and a new filter/dryer. I'm no expert on this by any means so someone smack me down if I'm wrong.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Carry on :cheers: