Idiot light to full gauge swap question (searched)

I have an 88 MJ with a column shifter. Switching it to a floor shifter is a last-resort option, btu I do want to do a gauge swap to full gauges. I knwo to swap the 2 sending units, and I know that I need a gauge cluster from the proper year range.

I also know that having the PRND indicator built into the cluster presents a challenge, and I want to keep my muileage the same (and at under 94K, the chances of finding another cluster with those miles is slim). I also know that I can roll back a "new" odometer to match, but I have an idea that MAY kill 2 birds with one stone.

In other vehicles that I have messed with, the gauges all screw into a master circuit board or other mounting board. I saw in a thread over on JU (http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... p?t=916622) that the individual gauges can be removed from the clusters. So would it be possible to get a full-gauge cluster and swap in the tach/temp/pressure/fuel/volt gauges right into the cluster that I have, leaving the speedo (with odometer and PNRD indicator) in its original place?

Thanks in advance!

Yes. The mechanical driven speedo is easy to roll back the odometer on though. I'm doing it on a '91 with the electronic version and it's a lot more complicated, but there are a few writeups for the version you need. Try this one: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t ... e+odometer

And there are plenty more writeups with more details to be found.

Yes. The mechanical driven speedo is easy to roll back the odometer on though. I'm doing it on a '91 with the electronic version and it's a lot more complicated, but there are a few writeups for the version you need. Try this one: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t ... e+odometer

And there are plenty more writeups with more details to be found.

It isn't so much the odometer correction that concerns me (as many have successfully done that) as much as it is trying to accomodate the AT gear indicator.

I have a guy willing to sell me a cluster for a good price. Maybe I will try it and see what happens.

The printed circuit board is not the same for the gauges and for the idiot lights. In fact, the printed circuit is different for gauges with the large gas gauge than for gauges with the tach.

I was worried about that. Does each individual gauge draw power/ground from the screws that attach it to the main board, of from a harness on the back of the gaugE?

"The printed circuit board is not the same for the gauges and for the idiot lights. In fact, the printed circuit is different for gauges with the large gas gauge than for gauges with the tach."

I couldn't believe this when I saw it 20 years ago when I did my swap. From a company that standardly used the same bumper front and rear and even had a show car that used the same body part on opposite corners to save costs. (turned into the Hornet) It's not just the wiring the plastic housing changed too. It must have been under the responsibililty of the Renault designers.

I wonder if it is possible to buy a police package speedometer and the accompanying speedometer gear, then to swap that into another full gauge pack. Finding a police package gauge cluster of the proper vintage is nearly impossible, but a dealership could probably get me a speedometer, IF I had the VIN from a police package XJ.

Man, this is a lot of work for some gauges...

EDIT: That won't work, as the police package was not available until 92 and I have an 88, so no-go there...

I will be doign this in my Comanche too. Can't you just cut out a hole in the bottom of the tachometer like the standard gas gauge has?

I thought about that. I need to look more closely at how the stock gauge is arranged. My MJ is not my daily driver and I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so without looking at it, I cannot recall the configuration.

Some gauge swap information:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56

As an alternative, I could go to a floor shifter configuration, which would be nice if I ever do a bucket conversion and add a full center console...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6156

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4342

and

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6017

For column to floor shifter conversion information.