Windshield wiper problem

Been having a real annoying problem with my windshield wipers...they work when they want to...ill turn the switch on and it won't do anything and then all of a suddent they will turn on...Also if they are on and i turn the switch off they will stop where they are and sometimes won't return to the down position...another thing is if they are on and i turn them off and try to turn them back on they won't work either...

I have completely replaced the wiper motor and linkage with a newer unit and now they move better than the old unit but i still have the same problem...any suggestions???

A more common failure than the stalk is the intermittent wiper module located at the bottom of the steering column inline with the column harness wires. Unplug the module on both ends, plug the harness connectors together, then see if the wipers operate normally (the delay function of course will be gone). If they do you'll need another module.

I had a similar problem to what you're describing and after a couple hours of trouble shooting I found that the "return to park" wire was shorting to ground. So if all else fails try checking your wiring.

here's the procedure so you don't have to figure out what all of the wires are http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl669e.htm