Questions about 8.8 axle conversion...

Ive been reading here about the 8.8 Exploder axle conversion. Is it a direct bolt in? Is it a SOA, or SUA? Does the original driveshaft bolt right up? Can the parking brake be made to work? Are the brake lines able to bolt right up. I'm not necessarily going to do this conversion, but if opportunity presents itself for one, I want to know what it takes, and to keep my options open. Thanks!!!

soa of sua is your choice. it will not just bolt in. you need to cut all the old brackets and weld new ones to fit under your mj. driveshaft i believe you need a special adapter from the junkyard :???: and the parking brake can be made to work as well

The only axle that will "bolt-in" is another MJ axle. To the best of my knowledge, none of the popular axle upgrades have perches in the proper location for either SUA or SOA, so as CamJeep said, some welding is required. It's not hard and any local shop can do it for you if you don't have a welder or have a friend with a welder.

Brake lines are pretty close and can be made to work. I'd suggest getting a 95 Dakota rear flexy line to replace yours. It's longer than the MJ's.

The driveshaft flange adapter on the Explorer is the wrong size U-joint. I think the Aerostar or Ranger or Crown Vic would have the proper size (only if they have an 8.8 underneath).

This is my favorite adaptation for the parking brake cable that I've seen so far:

Yeah I saw that. Not sure why since I thought I had unlimited. :hmm: I haven't sorted it out yet.

Just use you imagination and picture the parking cable wrapped around the parking brake lever on the 8.8 with a cable clamp holding it tight. :D