Parking brake adjustment?

I've been going through my MJ to check things out before I have it inspected. It should pass no problem except for one issue I found: the parking brake doesn't stay down. There's a lot of tension on the pedal, it's really hard to push down to any degree, and there's just too much force for the holding ratchet to keep it depressed. I've tried putting the pedal down to different amounts, either just engaged or to the floor or anywhere in between and it's the same, it'll just pop back out. I haven't had a chance to really get under there and take a look at the adjustments, so before crawl under does anyone have any tips or tricks, or links to diagrams? While I'm under there I need to re-adjust the transfer case linkage too.

Yes, your parking brake box could be shot, but it sounds like the wheel cables are frozen up (with rust) If you do craw under neath, pull on each wheel cable and see if it moves, if there frozen up, then there way too much tension on the main cable that's not letting the foot pedal lock in.

I think that this could be several different things:

1) As said before, the ratchet assembly could be worn out, mine will take a massive load and not release.

2)Some MJs have a spring that returns the parking brake pedal (I say some because mine doesn't have one but I haven't had any problems as the tension on the cables return the pedal) this spring could be too strong if the PO put a different one in and could be pulling the ratchet assembly back.

3) As said before wheel cables could be frozen up, but the main front cable could be frozen up too.

4) Check your parking brake actuator adjustment. When the drum brakes themselves aren't properly adjusted, the parking brakes will not work properly. Many people mistake this as just the cables being loose and tighten the crap out of those cables.

5) Relating to #4, check the drum brake adjustment, if the brakes are over-adjusted, the parking brake will be tight.

Thanks for the tips, will check things out in more detail tomorrow. Wasted most of the daylight at the DMV today, grr.

There is definitely too much tension on the cables, I'll see if I can adjust it a bit looser tomorrow and if it'll allow the brake to hold, but I'm worried the damage to the teeth is already done. PM me for a price Ed I might take you up on your spare.

Anyone have a link to a diagram for the ratchet mechanism?

Thanks for the tips, will check things out in more detail tomorrow. Wasted most of the daylight at the DMV today, grr.

There is definitely too much tension on the cables, I'll see if I can adjust it a bit looser tomorrow and if it'll allow the brake to hold, but I'm worried the damage to the teeth is already done. PM me for a price Ed I might take you up on your spare.

Anyone have a link to a diagram for the ratchet mechanism?

check all your other stuff first- its not hard to swap out the assemble, its only 3 bolts, 1 wire, and the cable folds over the top of the yoke-

you might find a welder who can tap weld the nubs and file them back to new-

If you need mine hollar and we`ll hash it out. :brows:

I think the correct tension is "you can push the pedal halfway down an no mo"- on XJs its you pull it up 5 clicks an no mo-

if the vehicle don't hold, somethings up.