going to buy a cherokee.

Allright i need some help from some fellow jeepers. here's the story. I like jeeps. End of story but lol out of all seriousness now I'm thinking of perchasing a jeep cherokee i think its an 87 and it has the v6 automatic and its four wheel drive. Its exactly what i need. But the bad the thing about it is it has over 289xxx miles and its about gut less. Like literally it has no power. But yet it does not over heat. And nothing leaks. So basically is it just getting old??? Plus it needs a tune up. And i doesnt do much good with a huge mother puppin brush guard that tips the jeep forward lol. Id appreciate every response

jamminz.gif

If it's gutless (and is a 4.0L), it could have a clogged cat, or a stretched timing chain, or poor seal at the rings, or clogged fuel injectors, or any number of other curable issues. :thumbsup: Best to do a compression check before buying though.

If it's an '87 it isn't a V6, and if it's a V6 it isn't an '87.

If it IS a V6 and it has 289,000+ miles on it ... run away as fast as your legs can carry you. That engine isn't even heavy enough to be a decent boat anchor.

The 4.0L I-6 will live to that kind of mileage -- my '88 is around 282,000 right now -- but it's pushing things. I bought mine new and I know the oil has been changed religiously. The AMC I-6 is an incredibly durable engine, but everything has limits. If it is a 4.0L and it feels gutless ... there may be problems. Keep in mind the early 4.0L engines were drag race engines -- they make low-end torque rather than high-end horsepower, so the 2000 feels a lot "gutsier," but it's largely because it runs freer at higher RPM. They both get about the same gas mileage (low 20s), so my old one isn't quite finished yet.