questions about self tapping screws and sliders

wouldent after a while the self tapping screws start not to hold so well in the holes or what if you needed to remove them they wouldent fit as tight ever again... so what it you where to drill holes on the other side that you could stick a socket in to hold a nut and then use a nut and bolt to hold them down? is there a reason none of the offroad companis do this? you could even make a plate and get some long bolts to go though and mount to a plate on the other side

I wouldn't use a self tapping screw in a structeral application. It is wrong. Sure, they might be rated. I don't care.

I personally think welding them on and damning all thoughts of removal is the easiest method that is acceptable. The better choice, but much harder, is to drill say a 3/4" hole through both sides of the frame rail, weld a peice of 3/4x.120 DOM tubing in the hole as a sleeve, then bolt it on with 1/2" bolts through the frame. 1/2" bolts are stupid overkill, but it depends what you can get for tubing to use as a sleeve. Accurate Gauge and T&S Tubing are the guys in PG to talk to - I haven't asked for anything smaller than 1"x.120 DOM though so I do not know the avaliability of smaller sizes.

Other thoughts that I've had is rivetting them on. I don't know of a commercial (read, affordable) rivet that would work for this. Perhaps a steel Cherry 'Q' if one can actually still buy them. But, that's a little more complicated. Removable though, just a PITA when the time comes.

My choice would be to do weld in rocker replacements. I think they look better and offer more clearance. But, if the rockers are mint it's really hard to bring yourself to cut them up. I buy junk vehicles for a reason - no second thoughts when it comes to sheetmetal removal.

Yeah, make sure you sleeve the hole if you plan to pop a bolt all the way through. The frame is just sheetmetal after all. Or you could do like me and just push the DOM from the rocker guard all the way through and weld it up on both sides. :D

I think ya'll are using way to much brain over this :yes: . The manufacturers have tested these things before they put them on the market so if failure was such an ominous threat, I don't think they would do it that way. If the self tapping bolts were the only point of attachment, then there may be an issue, but with them attached there and having several bolts going through the pinch seam, I don't see that there is any reason to be so worried about it. :dunno: