AW4 swap

I'm swapping out my 5 spd 2WD tranny for an AW4 and 231 next weekend. Some guys have told me to swap out the wiring harness and possibly the computers too. My question is/are there wires on the AW4? If there are, what are they for? Thanks in advance.

I'm swapping out my 5 spd 2WD tranny for an AW4 and 231 next weekend. Some guys have told me to swap out the wiring harness and possibly the computers too. My question is/are there wires on the AW4? If there are, what are they for? Thanks in advance.

The AW4 is an electronically controlled transmission. Without wires your truck ain't gonna move properly . Electricity tells it to shift from gear to gear, up & down. It also locks & unlocks the TC. It works through an elect TCU (Trans Control Unit) in conjunction with a coupl other pieces of elect equip. I suggest you read up on the AW4, a lot of info is available on the net, before you start this swap.

The AW4 is an electronically controlled transmission. Without wires your truck ain't gonna move properly . Electricity tells it to shift from gear to gear, up & down. It also locks & unlocks the TC. It works through an elect TCU (Trans Control Unit) in conjunction with a coupl other pieces of elect equip. I suggest you read up on the AW4, a lot of info is available on the net, before you start this swap.

you'll definately need the underhood wiring harness from an auto. It has an extra subharness that connects to the TCU and the tranny, and extra wiring for the second TPS output (which feeds info to the ECU/TCU for shift points). As well, you'll need the auto TPS that has that second output.

You'll also need auto flexplate bolts in place of your manual flywheel bolts because they are shorter. I've got a spare set if you need them you can have if you want them.

Jeff

you'll definately need the underhood wiring harness from an auto. It has an extra subharness that connects to the TCU and the tranny, and extra wiring for the second TPS output (which feeds info to the ECU/TCU for shift points). As well, you'll need the auto TPS that has that second output.

You'll also need auto flexplate bolts in place of your manual flywheel bolts because they are shorter. I've got a spare set if you need them you can have if you want them.

Jeff