a 30/9.50/15 Tire on a 15x8 rim?

Hey Guys probably after the new year ill be purchasing a set of 15x8 wheels for my Truck. I plan on mounting my current 30/9.50 tires on them and running them till probably next Winter when theyll probably be used up and replaced with a 31/10.50. Anyway will a 9.50 tire work ok on an 8" wide wheel (id think so). Also would 3.75" backspacing be enough to clear a 31/10.50 tire from the LCAs.

Truck is an 88 4x4 with a 1.5" Budget Boost

Thanks for any info jamminz.gif

here's the wheels I'm looking at :yes:

Image Not Found

Hey Guys probably after the new year ill be purchasing a set of 15x8 wheels for my Truck. I plan on mounting my current 30/9.50 tires on them and running them till probably next Winter when theyll probably be used up and replaced with a 31/10.50. Anyway will a 9.50 tire work ok on an 8" wide wheel (id think so). Also would 3.75" backspacing be enough to clear a 31/10.50 tire from the LCAs.

Truck is an 88 4x4 with a 1.5" Budget Boost

Thanks for any info jamminz.gif

here's the wheels I'm looking at :yes:

Image Not Found

You will be OK, but the 9.50 tire will be "spead out" looking and, as you know, is not the best thing to do. The 9.5 should be on a 7" wide, but since it's not a real long term thing, you will get by. The 3.75" BS should be fine for the 10.50 to clear.

You will be OK, but the 9.50 tire will be "spead out" looking and, as you know, is not the best thing to do. The 9.5 should be on a 7" wide, but since it's not a real long term thing, you will get by. The 3.75" BS should be fine for the 10.50 to clear.

You'll clear the lower control arms, but you'll have other clearance problems with the flares and sheet metal.

You're starting with a rim that sits 1-1/2" farther outboard than the stock rims. Then you're adding an inch of width, which moves the centerline outboard an additional 1/2". With those tires and wheels your tires are going to be riding a full 2" father out than stock.

The problems will be that much worse when you move up to 31s.

You'll clear the lower control arms, but you'll have other clearance problems with the flares and sheet metal.

You're starting with a rim that sits 1-1/2" farther outboard than the stock rims. Then you're adding an inch of width, which moves the centerline outboard an additional 1/2". With those tires and wheels your tires are going to be riding a full 2" father out than stock.

The problems will be that much worse when you move up to 31s.

I have thought about swapping out the LCAs for WJ 1s but i also have plans for some Bushwacker Flares in the future as well....that was the 2nd reason for getting a lower backspaced wheel considering the OEM rims place the tires alittle far inward and putting on bigger flares would look goofy......sorry for so many equations here :nuts: ....I do enjoy talking about everything though :popcorn:

I like most the jeep rims but I'm mainly looking to clear the LCAs with a 10.50 tire so thats my motive with going to an aftermarket wheel ;)

The tires only contact the LCAs on full-lock turns. But 31x10.50s on stock Jeep rims will tuck up inside the fenders and flares, even with NO lift. Once you kick the tires outboard by 2 inches, you solve the LCA "problem" but you create a host of interference problems everywhere else. The tires will hit the flares whent he suspension compresses, and more than likely they'll also hit at the front and/or the back of the wheel well opening when you turn.

Either accept the slight reduction in turning radius (I drove mine like that for several years), or do as Pete suggests and go to WJ lower control arms.

Well...IMO...wheels spacers are unsafe no matter what the thickness, who makes them or how they are installed so I would never advise using them ;) .

They probably wouldn't pass PA inspection either :idea: ...but, I haven't lived in PA since 1985 so I don't know the inspection laws there any more.

I do have a current PA Insp. License and I can't recall anything about wheel spacers. Either way I'm not really a fan of them either but it was just another option i threw out there. My friend installed 3.5" backspaced rims with 33/12.50 tires on his YJ last night and they stick out 2+" past the flares and do contact points on the body so I'm defently not looking into doing that.