I need a good economical chainsaw....

jtdesigns

The poulan saws are good but they do make two lines. The green poulan saws are the homeowner line and are the lesser versions perfect for occasional use. If you are going to use the saw on a more regular basis look into the poulan pro saws ( yellow in color). They are manufactured with better engine internals and are designed for more use. Lowes and homw depot used to sell one with a 16" bar for about $130.00.

The newest saw I have is an 18" crafsman. For a year or two it was finniky on starting, till finally it wouldn't start. I reverse the primer bulb and its been great ever since. It's a good saw for how I use it (firewood and such), but if I used a chainsaw more than 15 times a year, I'd probably go for something better/bigger.

The newest saw I have is an 18" crafsman. For a year or two it was finniky on starting, till finally it wouldn't start. I reverse the primer bulb and its been great ever since. It's a good saw for how I use it (firewood and such), but if I used a chainsaw more than 15 times a year, I'd probably go for something better/bigger.

I've got the poulan wild thing. It's been a great saw. Has never let me down and after awhile you find the tricks of keeping the chain tight. I still have to tighten it but not near as much.

Here's lowes add. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Well, mine is the wild thing as well, and please share the secret for keeping the chain tight :bowdown:

That's what I have too. I keep buying new chains...even the expensive ones thinking that it was the chain stretching because I didn't buy a good one, but they still will not stay tight for more than 5-6 cuts... :shake:

Well you need to get a ..... nah I won't BS yall. :D Basically it's keeping the chain sharp, well oiled, and not trying to force the saw. As someone said above this is the home owner version so take it slow. I've have two chains and swapp them every once in awhile but have a little hand sharpener that keeps them sharp. Takes about 5 mins to do the chain on the saw. Don't get me wrong I still have to tighen it about 2-3 times per tank of gas. It will also depend on what type of wood your cutting. Sappy ole pine is the worst for loosening the chain. I use it probably 3-4 times a year. More if we get a hurricane. I've pretty much cut all the neighbors un-wanted trees down, so it's sees less and less use. That and I'm getting to old to get my @ss up the tree to top them out. :D

Oh yeah, if I did a lot more cutting, I'd get a husqvarna. Best saw out there for the professional IMO.

:cheers:

I've got the poulan wild thing. It's been a great saw. Has never let me down and after awhile you find the tricks of keeping the chain tight. I still have to tighten it but not near as much.

Here's lowes add. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Well, mine is the wild thing as well, and please share the secret for keeping the chain tight :bowdown:

That's what I have too. I keep buying new chains...even the expensive ones thinking that it was the chain stretching because I didn't buy a good one, but they still will not stay tight for more than 5-6 cuts... :shake:

Well you need to get a ..... nah I won't BS yall. :D Basically it's keeping the chain sharp, well oiled, and not trying to force the saw. As someone said above this is the home owner version so take it slow. I've have two chains and swapp them every once in awhile but have a little hand sharpener that keeps them sharp. Takes about 5 mins to do the chain on the saw. Don't get me wrong I still have to tighen it about 2-3 times per tank of gas. It will also depend on what type of wood your cutting. Sappy ole pine is the worst for loosening the chain. I use it probably 3-4 times a year. More if we get a hurricane. I've pretty much cut all the neighbors un-wanted trees down, so it's sees less and less use. That and I'm getting to old to get my @ss up the tree to top them out. :D

Oh yeah, if I did a lot more cutting, I'd get a husqvarna. Best saw out there for the professional IMO.

Got a Poulan 'Wild Thing' 18" bar right after Katrina and it has always worked well...starts right off every time. I do have the problem with the chain coming off the bar occasionally, but have gotten into the habit of tightening it after each cut so I don't have the aggravation of the chain flipping me off, I mean flipping off the bar... :mad:

Got a Poulan 'Wild Thing' 18" bar right after Katrina and it has always worked well...starts right off every time. I do have the problem with the chain coming off the bar occasionally, but have gotten into the habit of tightening it after each cut so I don't have the aggravation of the chain flipping me off, I mean flipping off the bar... :mad:

Well got a update for yous... I went to Lowes and tractor supply, compared notes and what you guys had to say, I made a choice. I got a Poulan Pro from Lowes with a 18" bar. >>>Link<<< Brought it home fueled it up and filled with bar oil. Followed the directions and started right up!! :clapping: Its a sweet saw, I so about bought a Husqvarna,,,but.... I had to squeeze my cheeks on the price, kinda funny cause I was sweating it pretty hard.. Didnt get to cut anything with it though... :( But I'm done with my Monday class!!! jamminz.gif soooo going go get some heat tomorrow.. Woot-woot!! Thanks for all y'all input!! Now.........................................

How I use this thing?????????????? :hmm:

:rotfl2:

joke'n :yes:

Oh the only thing I wasn't happy about this saw is it doesn't have the metal spike plate at the base of the bar...

What the correct name for that metal spike plate anyways???????

Well got a update for yous... I went to Lowes and tractor supply, compared notes and what you guys had to say, I made a choice. I got a Poulan Pro from Lowes with a 18" bar. >>>Link<<< Brought it home fueled it up and filled with bar oil. Followed the directions and started right up!! :clapping: Its a sweet saw, I so about bought a Husqvarna,,,but.... I had to squeeze my cheeks on the price, kinda funny cause I was sweating it pretty hard.. Didnt get to cut anything with it though... :( But I'm done with my Monday class!!! jamminz.gif soooo going go get some heat tomorrow.. Woot-woot!! Thanks for all y'all input!! Now.........................................

How I use this thing?????????????? :hmm:

:rotfl2:

joke'n :yes:

Oh the only thing I wasn't happy about this saw is it doesn't have the metal spike plate at the base of the bar...

What the correct name for that metal spike plate anyways???????

Most of the smaller size saws don't come with the spikes you usually have to get into a larger saw to get them. I used to work for a place that sold the poulan pros as well as echos and huskys. The husqvarnas wer bad @$$ saws but were considerably more money both in purchase price and parts than the others. The poulans and echos were both excellent products.

Most of the smaller size saws don't come with the spikes you usually have to get into a larger saw to get them. I used to work for a place that sold the poulan pros as well as echos and huskys. The husqvarnas wer bad @$$ saws but were considerably more money both in purchase price and parts than the others. The poulans and echos were both excellent products.

Jeez...how do you shorten a URL? :oops:

This is the format...

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110323508868&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=120335776445&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42]See here:[/url]

...to create this...

See here:

Jeez...how do you shorten a URL? :oops:

This is the format...

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110323508868&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=120335776445&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42]See here:[/url]

...to create this...

See here: