4.10 : 1 gears

what would be the best way to replace my 3.55s gears with 4.10s? should i try to find donor axles or should i man up and install new gear sets in my axles? randy's ring and pinion gets about $600 for gears and install kits for both ends. i have never done gears, yet, but i want to install a set. i have friends locally that have done multiple sets that i can question if i run into problems, and i can't imagine it would be more difficult than setting up high performance harley engines. :chillin:

thanx for the info. tho i am not too concered about the technicality of a ring and pinion swap, my background as a certified motorcycle tech and having friends at local shops that do gear swaps regularly has easied my concerns in that dept.

on a side note, has any one every used a set of early bronco axles? i have a 4.10 E.B. dana 30, and i might be getting a E.B. 9" from my brother for cheap or free. the 9" is 3.55 geared, but that can be changed. i think the E.B. axles are 58" wide, if i remember correctly the E.B.s are one of a very few vehicles that had the same track width front and rear. Any body know how wide MJ axles are?

or, what are the odds i could use the 4.10s and carrier from the E.B. in my dana 30? :dunno:

but i suppose i would have to take the 9" axle shats to the machine shop to have the flanges re-drilled for a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. then brake drums would have to be matched as well :hmm: .

:wall:

maybe i am over complicating this :nuts:

thanx for the info. tho i am not too concered about the technicality of a ring and pinion swap, my background as a certified motorcycle tech and having friends at local shops that do gear swaps regularly has easied my concerns in that dept.

on a side note, has any one every used a set of early bronco axles? i have a 4.10 E.B. dana 30, and i might be getting a E.B. 9" from my brother for cheap or free. the 9" is 3.55 geared, but that can be changed. i think the E.B. axles are 58" wide, if i remember correctly the E.B.s are one of a very few vehicles that had the same track width front and rear. Any body know how wide MJ axles are?

or, what are the odds i could use the 4.10s and carrier from the E.B. in my dana 30? :dunno:

but i suppose i would have to take the 9" axle shats to the machine shop to have the flanges re-drilled for a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. then brake drums would have to be matched as well :hmm: .

:wall:

maybe i am over complicating this :nuts: