Leaf's in the front

Hi all I was just on a site looking at pics of comanche's and a lot of people have changed the front to leaf springs. it is just a site to post pics so I thought I would ask here.

would this be a good mod for lift? what disadantages and what advantages would it give?

all coments welcome. the reason I ask is I have 2 Mjs and well if I can take the springs out of the back of one to geit lift in the front I may make a trail only rig out of one of them.

what elts would I use up front for springs. does anyone have good pic's of this being done?

Thanks and lets start talking

I have seen it done, but I don't know of anyone currently on here that has one done that way. I have a friend up in GA that has done it to a couple of XJ's and there was one on here for a while, but he sold it and is working on a new project now. His username is georgiaboy27 (but he lives here in FL) if you want to try sending him PM and asking questions about his previous MJ with the front leaf springs.

Well...being "worth it or not" really depends on how you intend to use the truck. It's more stable, but less flex than the coils so it's more suited for a mud truck although there are people like me that like the stability of leaf springs on the rocks even though it doesn't flex quite as much.

The leaf springs will put more stress on the unibody so you will have to be sure and do a good job of reinforcing the connecting points and possibly doing a frame plate kit on it.

thats just it though. I had my FZJ80 locked front and rear on 35"s that I wheeled (and sold last week :( ) and daily drive my mj. I have taken the MJ offroad (drainage ditch) once just to get some poser pics and to see how well the lwb would flex when compared to my land cruiser.

From what pic's I can see the laefs are just on the lca mounts in the rear of the spring and a hanger up at the front with the fram extended to hold them. sqr tubing used as a cross member from side to side. I am going to see if I can did up any more info. I Like the idea of the leafs up front

How did I miss this thread?

I did it. I wouldn't do it again.

My reasoning, I think, was that my other suspension setup had inherent flaws that I could not easily fix (rusty's LAs), and motivated by the concept that front leafs would be cheap and work well, I tried it. My results were less than spectacular.

Image Not Found

Flex is alright. That was all that was alright. Honestly. Leafs suck, period. Luckily we don't have any F-toy retards to argue with me about that on this site. Anyways, I bent springs, nearly broke one, had ugly axlewrap, found the leafs had too be on too wide of a centre to work well with a narrow (61") axle, and they would unload while climbing. Oh, did I mention axle wrap? And the steering was slightly vauge, which is inherent to not having a track bar. You have coils and links, for the actual cost of swapping in leafs you should stick with coils and links.

And you can actually have somewhat proper suspension geometry with coils.

Oh yeah, shackles forewards = ugly approach angle and bent leaves. Shackles back = boat anchor under the belly and bent leaves if you try to back off something. Pick your poison, both will kill you.

Oh, MJ rear leafs in the front... Would be squishy I think. I recall BrettM saying he tried them, but settled for some lift YJ leaves. I used stock grand-wagoneer fronts. I should have either used some lift ones, or built the truck about 4" lower. Or just not tried front leafs.