Fluid recommends?

Royal Purple is good stuff. I personally prefer AMSOIL and use it in everything I own including my lawnmower, trimmer, chain saw, leaf blower and generator ;) .

-Your axles will use 75-90 or 80-90 gear oil...either one is fine. If you have a limited slip rear it will need the friction modifier additive.

-Engine oil will be something between a 10-30 & 20-50 depending on you climate and engine wear.

-Tranny is going to be the same gear oil as the axles.

-T-case is automatic tranny fluid if it's the AX15, the BA10/5 uses gear oil.

Not quite.

He has an '89, which probably means it has an AX-15 tranny, and the AX-15 tranny doesn't like GL-5 rated gear oil. The sulfer in the formulation eats the synchronizers. THe original factory recommendation was an 8-90 gear oil rated GL-3. However, since you could spend a couple of generations trying to find that, according to Pete the factory has changes their recommendation to motor oil.

I think I'd be tempted to try the dedicated synchromesh gear oil from Pennzoil, but I don't have an AX-15 to worry about at the moment.

I have used the AMSOIL 85w-90 gear oil in my AX-15 since it had 10,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all other than when I broke the gear for 3rd gear. It has just over 99,000 miles now and still shifts as smooth as it ever has. The tranny shop that did the replacement of hte broken gear said everything else inside looked good as new and the synchros showed no excessive wear. If Chrysler is changing it, then there must be something to it, but I have seen no personal proof that there is any problem.

So, with this info...I guess that you should put 10w-30 motor oil in the tranny if it is an AX-15 :thumbsup:

Not quite.

He has an '89, which probably means it has an AX-15 tranny, and the AX-15 tranny doesn't like GL-5 rated gear oil. The sulfer in the formulation eats the synchronizers. THe original factory recommendation was an 8-90 gear oil rated GL-3. However, since you could spend a couple of generations trying to find that, according to Pete the factory has changes their recommendation to motor oil.

I think I'd be tempted to try the dedicated synchromesh gear oil from Pennzoil, but I don't have an AX-15 to worry about at the moment.

Mopar has updated the recommended oil for the AX-15 (which as stated, you don't have anyway) to 10-30, but I don't know why. :doh:

Mopar has updated the recommended oil for the AX-15 (which as stated, you don't have anyway) to 10-30, but I don't know why. :doh:

Because finding Gl-3 rated gear oil is next to impossible, GL-5 is deadly to the synchros, and they've decided that 10-W30 is the next best thing to the original requirements. :thumbsup:

Royal Purple have sulfer?

I'm trying to stay brand-tastic. :D

This what Sir Google told me... :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synslide® additive technology is noncorrosive to gears and bearings, including case-hardened gears that are easily pitted by conventional sulfur-phosphorus EP oils. Synslide® additive technology displaces water from metal surfaces and excels in protecting equipment in wet environments. It also fortifies the oil against the detrimental effects of heat, which causes oil to oxidize.

Max-Gear® Exclusive Performance Advantages:

Severe Service Performance

Max-Gear® exceeds Eaton's stringent GL-5 / MIL-L-2105D Gear Oil Specs. Max-Gear® also is safe for GL-4 applications or bronze synchro gears.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it appears to me that there should be no problem in running the Royal Purple Gear Oil instead of motor oil.

Just as an amendment... I did some more research yesterday and AMSOIL says that there is No Sulfur in any of their products either so I guess that's why I have run the AMSOIL gear oil all these years nad never had a problem. :thumbsup: