Tire chains or cables?

Jerry

Hi guys, hoping for some sub zero driving advice please.

We're heading North to play in the snow over Christmas and I need to get some chains or cables (the law). I've been told cables are much cheaper and I probably wouldn't need chains anyway. I have no experience using either. I have driven in snow once or twice though and loved it! :thumbsup:

What are the pro and cons of each?

I don't have any experience with cables, but chains yes.

Pros: they work in snow if you have a solid base to "dig" down to (i.e. blacktop, concrete). If the base under the snowpack is loose, they keep digging, and digging, and digging......especially with an open diff. You can get a decent set for less then $50, and purchase replacement cross-chains as needed.

I used chains on my MJ when we first moved down here to VA and it was still 2WD, and drove circles around just about everyone in the couple big snowstorms we had several years ago (but that's not saying too much because NOONE here who is a native can drive in even a dusting :D )

Chains or cables, it doesn't matter, neither work in ice and shouldn't be used.

Cons: Installation is a pain, but no different than cables. Especially if you've already got a ton of slush/snow/road crap already accumulated on your rig before you put them on. It can be a messy affair. Not recommended for running on dry pavement, work best if you are in a continual snowpack environment. If road conditions change as you drive and you hit clear patches, you need to keep speed down, and the cross chains will wear faster.

Hopefully someone who's used cables will chime in and add to this. I would guess that chains would work better than cables, especially in deeper snow, but I couldn't say for sure as I've never used them.

Jeff

I use cables on my '88 and 235-75 tires. I'm in SE Minnesota, we just got about 6-9 inches of snow everywhere (on top of about 4 in.) and I still get around really well without any weight in the back (before roads were plowed). I agree with mjeff87 that you should take them off or keep speed under 40 mph or so when encountering dry pavement. Thats all I know for cables.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I'm guessing we'll be encountering a mixture of surfaces so it sounds like cables would be best for that. Then there's the cost. Under 50 bucks a set works for me! If I get stuck I'll go get some some chains for next time :cheers:

I prefer studded tires for known bad conditions (basically, the entire time you can legally run them in most of BC). But I don't use them on my truck. I'm cheap.

For when the going gets bad, I prefer chains. With skidder chains being my first choice. The only time you need anything beyond studded tires is when the going has actually got bad. My idea of bad means there is no possible chance of movement without the chains.

However, I don't carry chains either.

I just use some good ol' MT/Rs and 4wd when things get ugly. Been stuck with the dodge only once. And I won't even tell that story - but lets just say it wouldn't have mattered unless I had chains for all 4 tires (which there would be no way to get on at that point) and it was a damn good thing I carry a snatch strap with me.

Where exactly are you heading? If you don't mind me asking.

Oh, I once chained up an '85 monte carlo, and did some winter wheeling in it. We really amazed some people. Two big rooster tails out the back as a small block screams for all its worth while plowing snow with the front end...

Been stuck with the dodge only once. And I won't even tell that story - but lets just say it wouldn't have mattered unless I had chains for all 4 tires (which there would be no way to get on at that point) and it was a damn good thing I carry a snatch strap with me.

Soooo....

how exactly did you end up in the snow filled ditch?

• 2 weeks later...
Where exactly are you heading? If you don't mind me asking.....

From Langley up to Sun Peaks or Big White. I've been told I probably won't need any chains or cables but getting there means going up the Coquihalla for which I must carry something "just in case" apparently. I've now got some Cobra chains from good old Canadian Tire so should be alright :thumbsup:

Any C'addicts out there used these before? Look good to me but I've no idea what's good or bad yet :dunce:

http://www.sumproducts.com/item-detail.cfm/id/COBRA/storeid/1

The letter of the law for chains on that road is either 'good' winter tires or carry chains, november-april. Unless you're over 7000Kg or something...

But, it's definatly not a bad idea to carry them. Especially if you go up to Big White. The Coquihalla is all good road, the road up to Big White is not. I don't recall the drive up to Sun Peaks, its been at least 6 years since I've been there, but I don't think its too bad. If you want to hit up another good mountain in the area, I'd also recommend Silver Star (just outside Vernon). The road up to it isn't too bad - better than up to Big White IIRC. And it often isn't as busy of a mountain.

Anyways, the C/T cables should get you through anything you'll see on any of those roads. If you don't have a good set of winter tires, or well siped A/Ts or such, I'd recommend them. I was driving from PG to Vernon yesterday and wound up being the only witness to a fatal accident - it really wasn't pretty. If the roads are slick/icy, especially if it's mostly good but bad in small areas, good winter tires can make all the difference between losing control and not.

Drive safe and have a good trip!

Thanks for the info DC.

Not good to hear about your seeing a fatal RTC. A serious reminder about the potential of getting it wrong on the road.

I will indeed drive safe. Slow and steady is my motto (not much choice if you have a V6 ;) ) especially with a loved one in the passenger seat :thumbsup:

I was out west near Denver about 7 years ago and they were stopping traffic. They where sending everyone back if they didn't use cables/chains or appoved tires. My 33x10.50 BFG AT KO's have the snow flake on the sidewall which is the DOT's way of marking tires that are rated for no chains or cables needed.

They waved me on to continue since my tires are DOT approved and I didn't have any problems.

I have used chains about 10 years ago and they were great. They also are hard on the driveline. I broke a D7O axle about 5 minutes after putting on the chains to plow some deep snow with a 1-ton that was full of salt and a 480HP big block. Other then that I have used them a few times without any issues. Some chains are designed differenltly and are more aggessive untill they wear down.